XIII. The Whispers

"What do you want," I growled, wrenching myself from Silas' grip. 

He frowned. "Well, you're a cheerful one this evening." 

"I don't feel like dealing with the Corvus family tonight," I said, starting into a walk. "I need a drink."

Silas fell in step beside me, my pace easily matched. A deep chuckle. "By the looks of it, you either really hated your dinner, or my dear cousin told you his plans." 

"It doesn't concern you," I snapped, realizing I probably looked like hell. 

"It does, actually. My only family left is about to risk his life by going to the fronts. I think that makes it my business, don't you agree?"

"Something tells me you don't particularly care what happens to Lex." I looked up at Silas, his only response a lazy grin. I scoffed, "What do you want?

Silas stopped dead. 

"Talk him out of it," he breathed, barely a whisper. 

"What?" I blinked, turning to face him. 

"Lex has no place there. There are things you don't know, things that change the meaning of his decisions." Silas stepped forward, a predator's gaze locked onto me, "His role in Aurus, in Stygia, is far greater than you think. If he dies there for rutting information, then the whole world will go to hell." 

Something in Silas' eyes, the way he moved, the severity of his voice, made me stop for a moment. Perhaps he was concerned for a family member, but I very much doubted he was the type to worry. There was more than what he was telling me. 

I started into a walk again, Silas close at my side. In our cloaks, we looked like two phantoms floating through the streets. 

"What do you mean there's more?" I breathed, "How could there be more that I don't know about?" 

A faint smile. "Don't be a fool, Kaira. Just because you've dwelled among us for a few weeks doesn't make you an expert." 

"Prick," I retorted. 

We turned a corner and a drunk swayed clumsily several feet from us. He stumbled forward and when our eyes met, he gave me a stupid grin. Silas growled, a primal sort of sound, and when the drunk saw the enormous man beside me, he practically ran from the street. 

"Was that necessary?" I sighed, my ire building. 

Silas continued, "I can offer you a different, more... direct way of obtaining information, which does not require my cousin giving his life." 

"So dramatic," I chided. 

Silas only drew his face into neutrality. "When you want the information, you know where to find me." He motioned to a dim tavern across the street with his chin. 

He only brings death and destruction.

"I work for Lex. Not for you." 

"Very well. But just remember what I told you." He winked and shoved his hands into his pockets, strolling into the street and whistling an off-key tune. 

I stayed on the curb until the melody faded into the distance, and for some time after that. Turning around, I went back the way I came. 

I wasn't in the mood for a drink. 

﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀

The next day was filled with training and sparring with Ciel and Ash. I even managed to get an entire sentence out of Saskia, although it was probably only because she was extremely hung over and continually scolded and barked orders at us to quiet down.