XXV. The Truth

The Mentor knew what was to come. He had felt it in the change of the wind when he awoke that morning. He had seen it in the way the sun lingered behind the clouds for longer than usual, and he felt it in the pit of his stomach. 

Sitting at his small desk in the corner of his musty room, he looked upon the rolling fields. The only difficult thing to do, would be to say goodbye. And that night, when he had sat in the gazebo, reading his ancient books, he thought he would not have to. But when the young girl he had come to love as a father loves his child made her way through the brush to find him, he began to feel the dread. 

Sitting in his lap, pointing to the faded illustrations, the girl made him make a promise he knew he would not be able to keep. For his end had been hounding him for decades now, and it was time he turned to fight. 

And so, he made a false promise; one he knew he would break before he ever made it. Although it would break her heart, she would live because of it. She would have a chance. And if he was right, she would save their world. She just needed the push, no matter what it took. 

And so, the Mentor gave his life. 

﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀

Ash

I leaned lazily on the trunk of a willow on the boarder of the foothills, watching the flames lick away any remnant of the creatures that had once clouded out the sky. The smoke tinged my nostrils. Those things didn't smell any better dead than alive. 

The wards are down. Fold back home while you still can. I will follow. 

Lex's command boomed through my head and my spine straightened against the trunk. Saskia jumped down from the branch above, her violet eyes meeting mine. Flame danced within them.

"You heard him," she said. "Let's go." 

"What about Kaira?" I replied, my voice hoarse from battle.

Saskia looked exasperated. "Lex will bring her back himself. Now come on. We have our orders."

With that, she stepped back and melted into shadow at the base of the tree. 

I looked to the horizon now filling with billowing sails. I smiled despite the growing pit in my stomach. Something felt wrong. Something wasn't...how it should be. Lex had seemed off. More than he had in a long time. 

I breathed in deeply and stepped back. The reek of burning flesh lingered even as I folded into shadow, and left the Mortal lands. 

﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀﹀

Kaira

The sun kissed the peaks of the foothills in golden rays by the time we reached the main hill above Marwol. Gulls screeched as they flew home for the night, while cheers of victory rang out through the city. Lex had remained quiet as we made the climb from the fort.

The silence was comfortable, not the stuffy, aching kind that I had so often felt. This was... different. 

I turned toward the bay, watching as the billowing sails poured through the mouth, straight for the docks. With their great sails and the golden sun, they gave the appearance of angels descending from the heavens.

"You did it," Lex finally muttered. 

I turned to him, his amber eyes cast in golden flame. I smiled. "Not alone."