Chapter 9 - Evolution of the Daleks

Evolution of the Daleks, part 1 -

As the Doctor snuck off to somewhere behind the controls the human Dalek kept talking, "These humans will become like me. Prepare them for hybridisation."

Everyone tried to fight against the pig slaves bringing them closer to the Daleks but they didn't need to since immediately music started playing and they all took a couple steps back again.

"What is that sound?", a Dalek asked.

The Doctor came into view between the prisoners and the Daleks, "Ah, well, now, that would be me", he turned off the radio and put it down, "Hello. Surprise. Boo. Et cetera."

"Doctor", the hybrid recognised.

"The enemy of the Daleks", one Dalek said.

"Exterminate", another said as they moved in on him.

"Wait", the hybrid stopped them.

They stopped and let the Doctor move forward and speak, "Well, then. A new form of Dalek. Fascinating and very clever."

"The Cult of Skaro escaped your slaughter", the hybrid replied. Jane's headache pierced her again.

"How did you end up in 1930?", the Doctor asked.

"Emergency temporal shift", he explained.

"Oh, that must have roasted up your power cells, huh? Time was, four Daleks could have conquered the world, but instead you're skulking away, hidden in the dark, experimenting. All of which results in you."

"I am Dalek in human form."

Jane scrunched her eyebrows in disgust.

"What does it feel like? You can talk to me, Dalek Sec. It is Dalek Sec, isn't it? That's your name? You've got a name and a mind of your own. Tell me what you're thinking right now", the Doctor steadily moved closer to the hybrid.

"I feel humanity." He moved away from his glance.

"Good. That's good", the Doctor replied. Jane shook her head, she did not want to know how the Daleks perceived humanity.

"I feel everything we wanted from mankind, which is ambition, hatred, aggression and war. Such a genius for war." There it was.

"No, that's not what humanity means", the Doctor protested.

"I think it does. At heart, this species is so very Dalek."

Jane took Martha's hand and squeezed it tightly.

"All right, so what have you achieved then, with this Final Experiment, eh? Nothing!", he turned back to the radio, "Because I can show you what you're missing with this thing. A simple little radio."

"What is the purpose of that device?", one of the Daleks asked.

"Well, exactly. It plays music", he picked it up, looking at it, "What's the point of that? Oh, with music, you can dance to it, sing with it, fall in love to it. Unless you're a Dalek of course. Then it's all just noise." He pointed his sonic at it and a noise came from it that seemed to hurt the pig slaves and the Daleks enough that the Doctor shouted, "Run!", and all the prisoners hurried off into the lift.

Back down in the sewers the Doctor instructed them along, they passed Tallulah on the way and Jane quickly grabs her arm, dragging her along, "What's happened to Laszlo?"

"Just run, Tallulah, we'll get to it", Jane instructed, still following the group back to the ladder.

Back in Hooverville the women and Frank were sitting by the fire, Martha's head on Jane's shoulder and Jane's head on top of Martha's.