Chapter 17 - The Family of Blood

The Family of Blood -

Jane woke up with a start when she heard gunshots. Panicking she got up, put on her dressing robe and boots, and then ran out the door. In the courtyard she found the boys sitting behind sandbags, aiming rifles at Headmaster Rocastle and Lucy Cartwright, standing in the middle of a bunch of scarecrows that had obviously been shot ferociously.

"Mister Rocastle! Please, don't go near her", Martha called out which made Jane looked at her with even more confusion.

"You were told to be quiet", he told her without turning around.

"Just listen to me. She's part of it. Matron, tell him", Martha turned to Joan.

"I think that- I don't know. I think you should stay back, Headmaster", Joan said insecurely.

"Mister Smith", Martha turned to Smith in panic.

"She was, she was with, with Baines in the village", Smith agreed.

Jane reached out to Martha and grabbed her shoulder. Martha jumped around to see her and hugged her tightly.

"I don't understand, what's going on?", Jane whispered.

"Mister Smith, I've seen many strange sights this night, but there is no cause on God's Earth that would allow me to see this child in the field of battle, sir. Come with me", Rocastle reached out to the girl.

"You're funny", she said.

"That's right, now take my hand", Rocastle stepped a little closer.

Martha held Jane a little tighter and squeezed her eyes shut.

"So funny."

Then she shot a green beam at him and Rocastle was reduced to a pile of ash. Jane screamed and hid her face in Martha's neck.

"Now who's going to shoot me?", Lucy teased, "Any of you, really?"

Nobody did anything until Mister Smith said, "Put down your guns", and they obeyed.

"But sir, the Headmaster", Hutchinson protested.

"I'll not see this happen. Not anymore. You will retreat in an orderly fashion back through the school. Hutchinson, lead the way", Smith's eyes didn't leave the girl as he ushered the boys inside.

"But sir", Hutchinson tried one last time.

"I said, lead the way."

"Well, go on, then. Run!", Baines said from behind the girl and fired his own green-laser-beam-gun into the air.

"Come on!", Martha let go of Jane to aid in ushering the boys inside.

"Reanimate!", Baines yelled and the scarecrows were getting up.

"Martha, the scarecrows, what's happening?", Jane asked in panic.

Martha took her arm into a tight grasp to try and tell her they'd get to it.

"Let's go. Quick as you can", Smith gestured around as the boys ran through the school.

"Don't go to the village. It's not safe", Martha said.

"And you, ladies", Smith then instructed Joan, Martha and Jane.

"Not till we've got the boys out", Joan protested.

Finally, the group of four managed to escape into the woods and hid in the bushes. Martha gave Jane her watch.

"Don't open it right now. Only when we've found a better hiding spot. I need your help", Martha told her.