Chapter 10

-Emiko POV-

The first quarter was over and we were behind 2 baskets...
But that wasn't the issue. Everyone was shocked with Midorima's three from the other side of the court...

"Kuroko-kun, Emiko-chan, has he always been able to do that?" asked Riko and I shook my head.
"No" said Tetsuya. "I only knew he could shoot as far as the half line. That's the first time I've seen him shoot from there"

"I've seen videos of NBA players make that shot during practice, but trying that in an actual game is ridiculous" said Izuki.
"The Generation of Miracles are ridiculous" said Hyuga.
"How are we supposed to stop that?" asked Koganei.

"You have to stop Midorima-kun" said Riko to Tetsuya.
They were going to try the same thing as in the Kaijo practice game.

When the game started again, Tetsuya marked Midorima.
But when Midorima passed, Takao blocked Tetsuya's pass...
Tetsuya's passes kept being blocked by Takao.

And Midorima kept shooting three's... Kagami wasn't able to block him.
My heart stopped with the time it took Midorima's shot to go through the net...
"He's... laughing?" I heard Furihata say and I looked at Kagami, who was smiling...

At the end of the second quarter, they were ahead with 20 points...
Tetsuya looked at the video of Takao I had made and I looked over his shoulder with him.
Everyone was quiet...

"Hey, everyone..." began Riko.
"Coach, it's okay" said Hyuga. "You're probably going to say something stupid anyway. Read the situation"
"Kuroko, what are you doing?" asked Izuki.

"Emi taped Takao during the first half" said Tetsuya.
"Do you have a plan?" asked Izuki.
"I don't know" said Tetsuya.

"You don't know?" said Izuki.
"I have thought about winning, but I never wondered if I can win or not" said Tetsuya. "Even if we lose by 100 points, there's a chance a meteor will strike the other team's bench in the last second"

I snorted and chuckled.
"You're right" said Izuki.
"Don't give me that!" shouted Hyuga. "There isn't going to be a meteor. That's a crazy thought"
"But, what if they all get stomach-aches?" asked Tsuchida.

"Don't get carried away. That won't happen either" said Hyuga.
"Well, that seems more likely than a meteor" I said.
"Well, compared to that, a second half comeback is way more realistic" said Koganei.
"Let's just keep running and think after the game's over" said Hyuga. "All right, let's go!"

~

Tetsuya sat next to me on the bench, he was going to observe Takao from a different angle.
'All we need is an opening... but I can't see one...'
Midorima went for a three, but Kagami jumped in front of him. But Midorima still made the three.

Izuki passed to Koganei.
"Good! They didn't expect..." said Kawahara.
"Koganei-senpai, who can shoot from anywhere!" said Furihata and Koganei made the shot.

"He actually made it this time" I said.
"Why do you have to say that?" shouted Koganei and I smiled.
Midorima went for a three again and Kagami jumped.

"Heh?" I said and I saw Kagami jumping higher than before... he actually touched the ball for a split second...
The ball touched the basket... but it still went in...
'There's our opening...'

I looked at Kagami... who was so focussed on stopping Midorima...
'What is this feeling?'
Kagami managed to touch a shot from Midorima, so that he missed... but their captain got the rebound and scored.

But then... Kagami actually managed to block Midorima completely... by jumping so high...
"Oh my God" I said. "He's actually like the others..."
Kagami managed to block the others as well...