▪︎47▪︎THE END.

Jeongguk had awoken that morning and noticed how everyone was acting as if nothing had happened. Nothing ever happened to anyone except him. None of the kingdoms had been damaged, there were no signs of a war, and his home was exactly the same as before.

Nonetheless, it was his coronation day.

He drew back the curtain and gazed at the distant ice kingdom, only the sky was clear and there were no clouds. Even if they existed, they were not visible.

Jeongguk had made the decision not to waste his life any longer. Not if he is given another chance.

He was previously afraid to go against his family. He'd be afraid to say things like, 'I don't want to be king.' or 'I don't want to marry anyone.' But this day would always be remembered as the beginning of Jeongguk's new life.

He went straight to the throne hall, still traumatized by the terrible chaos. He saw the walls and remembered being pushed against them and injuring Taehyung. He saw his painting of him and his family, which was not burned but was perfectly fine.

He noticed his parents were extremely busy preparing for the coronation.

"I will not become king." Jeongguk stood there, dressed differently than he was expected to wear in the kingdom. "I will not rule the fire kingdom."

"Haru will rule your kingdom, father." he suddenly said, placing a hand over haru's shoulder, his eyes were lend on how everyone was staring at him with shock, just the moment when his two brothers entered in.

"Jeongguk, what are you doing!?" Haru exclaimed, "this is your day!"

"Haru has always been worthy of the throne and the full power of the fire elemental," jeongguk said, a wide smile on his face. "And you can't do anything about it," he turned over his parents, pale and unconvinced.

"Mother, father," he approached them, "I love you, you are my parents and have always taken care of me," he said softly, "but it is time for me to be free." I am grateful for everything you have done for me over the years. "They're training me to be a king, but that's not what I want to be."

"I long to be free." "I want to live as a human, not in a castle and stay on the throne all day," he said, expecting a response from his parents, but he didn't get one. "It is time for your middle child to rule the kingdom. I can assure you that he will not let you down, father. He's even better than I am."

''jeongguk.'' His father was about to say something stern, but his mother put her hand on her husband's chest and said, "we understand. a-and we will appreciate your decision."

''honey-'' He wanted to say something else, but she looked at him. "He is our oldest son; it is time for him to do what he wants because his life depends on it." ''

Jeongguk had waited so long for his parents' approval. He wanted to leave there happy and do what he had always wanted...have a life with Taehyung. He was willing to wait however long it took, but first he needed to remove this from his chest.

"Son, you realize you'll have to give your double elemental to your brother, right?" said the king, his gaze fixed on his two sons.

"Even though I am weaker, I will survive, dad. "You know I've been a fighter my entire life," jeongguk sadly smiled and looked at his brother, "take care of that old man, he'll go insane soon," they joked, and haru hugged his brother.

"Thank you," he said quietly, knowing that his dream was also coming true. "Come on, Haru, let's get you ready for the ceremony," his mother said, taking her son's hand and pulling him away.

"hyung, when are you coming back?" his youngest brother asked sadly.

"It won't be anytime soon, but...after some time, I might visit," jeongguk hummed as he opened his arms for a hug. Who knows, maybe when you're old enough, you'll be able to come and visit me as well." Jeongguk ruffled his brother's hair. "Boem, take care of yourself. When I see you again, I expect you to be even more handsome, okay?"