21) COMMON COURTESY

*Cody Walker's POV

*Cody Walker's POV

"Faster, faster!" Peter Abbott, a.k.a the coach, shouted. The thing was that at this point I wasn't sure if I could possibly go any faster. In fact, it was more likely I was going to drop dead in just a minute or two.

We were having another Fartlek workout and even though I loved them, by the end of the last sprint I always thought I must have been out of my mind thinking I like them. So, I was out of breath and my legs burned, but I kept running like a maniac. Until it was finally time to slow down to an easy run and I felt like crying in relievement. 

This torture did have an upside, though. For the last 45 minutes I hadn't thought about Ian or the other things that kept bothering me. 

I was having a hard time adapting to the change. Although I always hoped I would have friends in my class, now that I had it felt odd. Especially when one of those friends was Ian, who I happened to hate just like a week ago. 

Don't get me wrong, of course I appreciated it when Ian and Ade had taken me into their group. They were both nice and friendly towards me, so I really had no reason to complain. I was just really, really confused. 

Suddenly I have someone waiting for me in the classroom and smiling when they see me. Suddenly I have a group of friends around me in the cafeteria. I used to have all that, but it was so long ago, that having it back feels unfamiliar.

Besides, I knew things could go back to what they were anytime. I could lose this all over again, so I couldn't bring myself to believe the worst was over now. 

There was also the fact I was quite certain B, J & K were just waiting for the right moment. They had left me alone now that I was always with Ian and Ade, but they often glared at me in a way that told me it was far from over.

"Well done, everyone! Go take a shower, remember to eat and drink well. We'll see each other again tomorrow." Peter Abbott clapped his hands and smiled proudly at each of us.

"Your boyfriend is here." Oat announced. I took a sip from my water bottle and was only listening to them absent-mindedly. 

"Okay." I muttered, turning my head to look at the stands where Ian was waiting for me. Only then I realised what Oat had said: "Wait, what?! He's not my boyfriend."

"Whatever you say." Oat wiggled their eyebrows and turned away swiftly before I could scold them.

I walked to Ian, knitting my eyebrows. I couldn't remember the last time he had been watching our practices, so I really hadn't expected to see him here.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. 

"Want to go grab a bite?" Ian looked a bit shaken for some reason, but I chose not to comment about that.

"Sure? But I have to take a shower first." I shrugged. Ian had been there for me lately, so I guess I could do the same for him just this once.

"I'll wait." A beaming smile spread on Ian's lips as soon as he heard my answer. It was almost cute to see how excited he was. 

Can you believe I even hurried for him? I took a quick shower, changed into clean clothes and hastily dried my hair. I mean yeah, that's just common courtesy, which I had no problem showing — but we're talking about Ian Romero. 

I didn't know if I could trust him and he had made my life obnoxious for years, yet I was hurrying just so I wouldn't bore him. I hate to admit this, but it was possible I had started to care about Ian. Not much, just a tiny bit. 

"That was fast." Ian commented once I walked back to the stands.

"If you're implying I hurried for you, then keep dreaming." Maybe I did hurry for him a little, but Ian would never hear those words from my mouth. 

"I wasn't going to imply anything of the kind." Ian smirked and then got down from the stands. "Let's go, I'm starving."

It was the same diner I was with Oat that one day. The place was just like the diners you could see in the pictures from the 50s: pictures of Marilyn Monroe and neon signs on the walls, red leather sofas and a counter with red leather barstools. 

"Are you using food to get me on your side?" I asked, already holding the hamburger in my hands. After the practices I was always ravenous and today wasn't an exception.

"Is it working?" Ian asked, an amused smile on his lips. He was still trying to decide whether to start with fries or hamburger. 

"Maybe. But just to be sure, you should keep buying me food every day." I was joking of course.

"Challenge accepted." The smile on Ian's lips spread even wider. He looked happy like a kid in a candy store.

"I was just kidding.." I muttered.

As it turns out, you can have quality time with anyone — even with Ian Romero — if there's food. I had fun with him and I found myself even laughing at his jokes. For that one afternoon I felt like we were still the same two friends we used to be. 

"I can't believe I'm asking this.." I really couldn't. "..but is everything okay?" 

We had already walked all the way to Ian's home where I would keep walking to mine. I don't know why I asked him that, but somehow I just felt like it was the right thing to do.

♡♡♡

Question of the day:
What's your favorite season?

(Me: Summer. I was born in summer and I've just always loved warmth and the long sunny days. ☀️ Here in Finland we have long, dark and cold winters, and the polar night just isn't good for my mood.. It's just about to begin and I'm really not excited about that.)