48) WHY DON'T YOU PICK ON ME

*Ian Romero's POV

*Ian Romero's POV

I found my phone right where I had left it: on our table in the cafeteria. I glanced at the time and it was quarter to one, so we still had time. Still and all I tried to hurry, because I didn't like the idea of leaving Cody alone, especially when he was having a fever.

Ade and Oat were done with their lunches, so we decided to walk back together. It's probably not surprising to hear that they wanted to join us on our visit to the principal's office. 

I pushed the main door open and my gaze landed on the spot I had left Cody. It was empty, and if that was enough to make my heartbeat accelerate, what I saw next made my entire body go into a full-blown panic mode. 

Down the stairs, by the corner of the sports field, was a havoc. Three people were standing: Hope was screaming at Bryce, Bryce was holding a bag and Jeremy had lifted a backpack over his head. On the ground was Kaleb, leaning on his elbows and trying to get up. Next to him Cody sat on his knees, his back hunched and his head hung. 

"No, no, no, no,.." I bemoaned when I saw Cody slumping to the ground. Something was wrong, like really wrong.

Then we were running, all the three of us. I don't think I've ever run that fast in my life, yet Oat was faster. They ran past me and Ade, sprinting like their life depended on it. 

"You sicko! Are you trying to kill him or do you just not care if you do?" Oat shouted and they didn't even slow down before their fist smacked in Jeremy's face. They used so much force he lost his balance and stumbled down. Normally I would have gotten such a pleasure from seeing that, but this time my brain barely even registered it. I had only one purpose: get to Cody.

"What's going on here?" I could distantly hear the running coach's voice, when I dropped down on my knees and turned Cody around so I could see his face.

Right then time came to a halt and our surroundings faded away. He couldn't breathe. Cody wasn't breathing. He tried to, weakly, but he couldn't. When I looked at him, I felt like my breath got stuck in my throat as well; if Cody stopped breathing, so would I.

Then someone, I think it was Oat, handed me an inhaler. I'm not sure how it happened, but someone, it might have been me, lifted Cody to sit up. He was leaning on me when I gave him the medicine. 

"Don't you die on me.. You hear me, you don't get to die, okay? Don't you even.. Not now.. never." I mumbled more to myself, when nothing seemed to happen and I dropped my hand that was holding the inhaler on my lap.

Then Cody gasped, his eyes fluttering wide open. Time started running again and the havoc around us came back to me. Oat was sitting on the ground next to us, their eyes full of worry and distress. Ade was struggling to keep Jeremy, who tried to flee from the scene, still. This time he wasn't smiling, but glaring at the blonde guy with deep hatred in his eyes.