Muna

I first saw the creature behind Linda's house when she stopped to park the car. It was the beginning of the school holiday and I had to promise Papa and Ma a stay over at annoying Maklang's house, for her and husband's twentieth wedding anniversary next weekend to let me stay at Linda's weekend house. Linda said we should break rules like driving cars and whatnot. I skipped that bit when I begged Papa. I was not entirely sure if that's what I wanted but it's Linda, I could rely on her. She was always the adult one and I was a quiet, boring child of hers.

     The creature, though under the golden light of late evening and despite what I had heard of this creature being invisible and similar to us humans; had small spots scattering on its body that emanated faint blue-greenish light; imagine neon signage. I squinted harder, I could be wrong. Rattled by Linda pounding the car's boot, my attention shifted to her who was sing-song her way up the house.

     The house, designed by Linda's father, was a recreation of salvaged kampung houses. Amidst towering trees, this five-room (all to us!) lies on a humongous stump. Two smaller rooms that looked as if they were hanging on branches were installed on the left and right sides of the main lounge. Thousands of small light bulbs trailing down from the glass roof completed the magical concept.

     "The flooring and walls were made of some kind of expensive wood they got from overseas, my dad said..." Linda proceeded to play the role of a tourist guide while we're fixing ourselves some dinner in the kitchen where a pool deck could be seen through the kitchen window. With lights mounted in the trees, they illuminated the pool deck from above, giving out the illusion of moonlight.

     Later that night Linda then retreated to bed early so I decided to be in the hanging room alone to read an ebook on my phone, at least till I was sleepy.

     After what felt like forever, I seemed to hear the stairs creaking at times as if with footsteps; light and faint. Then there was a distinct smell of something sweet, like honey or fruit, wafting in the hallway. I rolled to a corner and debated whether to just sleep it off or to be on guard when Linda came in tapping my back, "Yo, come down let's eat breakfast."

I was quick to sit up straight and peered intently at her. The sunray broke on her face. But I was very sure it was nighttime seconds ago. I tried sniffing the air but the earthy smells of rainforest emerged instead.

     It was still daylight when I descended to the ground and there it was, sitting on a branch, so casually. Then its pointy ears fluttered when I moved closer. It seemed to look my way. My chin quivered but I didn't move. I assumed it was a male with his chest out and bare.

     "Last night, was it you, wondering about?" I asked boldly.

     "You can see me?" he asked, amused. The crack of a youthful voice confirming that he was indeed a male. His spots gave out blue purplish light.

      He jumped off the branch before his translucent, soft petals wings caught his body and he was floating. The wings fluttered like confetti and a familiar sweet fruity scent lingered as he twirled around me. Up close, golden specks speckled through his iris.

      "I- I've always been this way, my hijab got lifted-" I told him and weirdly enough, a weight lifted from my shoulder. I never told any soul, including Linda. Linda was never a person to believe in such a thing. She would quickly brush me off whenever I was heading that way. Boys don't like weird girls, she once told me. Why would she go that way?

     "-oh so you are one of those people," he raised his non-existent eyebrows.

    "You knew about this?"

     "Yeah, I know a thing or two of your kind and I bet you do too, about us,"

      "Well, at first I wasn't convinced seeing you with wings and being blue, the bunian people I've seen- they're nothing like this," I waved my hand up and down his body.

      "We are what you call us, bunian, but there are many kinds of us but I guess I want to go with what the westerners call us, what was it again...?" He paused and seemed to be deep in thought, he sure knew a lot of human things.

      "...was it fairies? Pari-pari?" I asked as he promptly smiled.

      "I'm Wangsa," he suddenly said. Classic.

      "I'm Muna."

      Ever since that encounter, me and Wangsa would have a few meetups every time Linda would bring me here over the course of several months. She said something about the moon's rotation and its effect on the house, so she needed to visit that house frequently and I questioned nothing as I had found my own reasons. Being friends with Wangsa, he had filled up the empty spaces in which Linda failed to make.

      I never told her about how Wangsa had ten sisters and not all of them could fly or any bunian fun facts as she was never suspected anything from me and her being disinterest in my gift since day one.

       Even so, my urge to tell her, cooped up inside me making me a little stir-crazy. Sometimes I caught myself on the edge; I would tease her on how I had met and shook hands with some bunian or that I found a secret portal to another dimension. I regretted it as soon the last words came out but I was quick to remind myself; after all, that was what friends are for, right?

       Linda would give that same reaction every time, a second long pause before saying, "Aww, Muna? We've talked about this, you're so naive."

       Even the words were anticipated, the words that came out from her uneven lips never hurt any less. The pain shot up my heart like fire and exploded blindingly.

      The last time I saw Wangsa was the last time I saw Linda too. The night was closing in when I climbed up the rattan stairs to find Linda on the pool deck. She didn't notice me.

       I was ready to join her to swim in the pool when I heard a familiar voice other than Linda's. I settled back into the big rattan pole, closed my eyes, hope hearing would take over my senses. I peeked cautiously and there stood Wangsa on the nearest branch, walking towards her.

       I covered my mouth with the towel I wrapped my neck with. So many questions circled my mind now. Linda chinned up when Wangsa bent down to let their lips touched. I bit on the towel and my eyes rimmed up with tears.

       I was wounded to overhear a foreplay conversation between Wangsa and Linda. I cupped my ears and stifled my cry. Under the starless night sky, they were bound together.

      When I regained some willpower, I ran.

      I just ran. It was easy to picture her ugly  now.

      "You're an arrogant little swine!" I could picture her retaliating.