Prologue

POV: Rachel De Santis

It was my last week here in Italy. Next Monday was my flight to California.

Leaving family behind was not a choice I liked, but after my father's Mafia was taken down by the second biggest Mafia, that was the best for me.

They knew war was coming soon.

My father and my Uncle wanted me to move ahead with my life safely and to continue my life in California. They told me to come back only if it was safe and only when the dust had settled should I spill the blood again. For my safety they had to cut all connections with me. I even had to change my freakin name.

While thinking about all the turns my life had taken in the past few months, I heard a knock at the door. I was pretty sure that it was Sarah, my best friend. She spent the last week crying with me about me leaving the country and everyone else behind.

But eventually, she came over it because I assured her that I will be back. Which I honestly didn't think was happening anytime soon. But only if I knew...

I let her in. She came into my room and sat at the end of the bed.

"I will miss you like hell." She said, eyes swollen due to all the crying lately.

"I don't know how I will manage without you there. " I replied sadly.

The main problem was that I wasn't allowed to even message or contact any member of my family after I leave Italy, except Uncle Michael. He wanted to be in touch with me at all costs.

I never wanted to do this. But it had to be done. For me and my future and for this bloodline's future.

I had never imagined a future without my family. Family over everything. That had been my mantra, it was made to be my mantra since the very beginning.

I had never thought that this day will come. I was more worried about how my parents will manage to spend the rest of their life in this dangerous world.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when Sarah spoke once again. This entire time she had a long face on.

"Anyways, let's go to the mall. You will need new clothes for your new beginning." I agreed to her offer and we went to the mall for shopping.

After 5 days.....

It was Saturday now. I had to leave the day after tomorrow. This entire week was spent with me going to the house of my relatives to see them for one last time to say goodbye.

The only relative I wasn't able to meet was my Uncle Micheal. He was my father's right hand and lived with us only, although he had a lavish penthouse in another city.

But as he wanted to keep in touch with me, he didn't say a 'goodbye'.

He is like a Godfather to me. I always looked up to him, no matter what. He always kept me safe from this dangerous world.

Tomorrow was going to be a hectic day as I had to pack all of my stuff. I was not allowed to pack anything which was related to my family but I had made up my mind of carrying at least one picture of my family together.

And while thinking of all of this, I drifted off to sleep.

Sunday night........

I had packed almost all of my stuff by now. Only my handbag was left which I thought I will pack tomorrow morning or just before leaving.

I took a picture which had my parents, my uncle and my best friend in it.

My only family picture for the rest of my life.