Preface

Note: This chapter is just going to be me explaining why I'm writing this book, along with a few disclaimers. You don't have to read it if you don't want to.

Last April, I was bored one day and itching for something to read. Having been disappointed many times by books from the library, I decided to settle for a more noncommittal medium by looking for a book to read on Wattpad, just a few taps away. Alas, I found a popular book that I figured wouldn't be too bad. And the book wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. So I continued this habit, looking through the Watty's reading lists, the Editor's Picks, and just my general recommendations to settle my desire for a fictional world. What I learned throughout the last spring and summer, was that I have many pet peeves when it comes to reading. Some general, and some more personal. So I've compiled them into a list to share with you. As for why? Humor, entertainment, ranting, and just general writing advice.

DISCLAIMER:

This book is not meant to offend any authors. Its purpose is not to send hate, or bully anyone. I'm not trying to cause controversy. I just have a few things I want to get off my chest, and hopefully I can entertain you and give you some writing advice in the process.

When ranting about a certain pet peeve, I will refrain from referencing any specific books. This book is inspired by things I come across when I read Wattpad novels in my spare time. This means that I do not "seek out" poorly written books to rant about. If you've read my previous book, Zodiac Clichés, you may have thought I was a bit nit-picky about my supposed clichés, and looking back, I too agree that I was very nit-picky. This book will be different. I have carefully brainstormed pet peeves to include in this book, that hopefully most people will be able to relate to.

I am only going to be discussing things I see in fictional narratives. No fan-fictions. I intend to keep most of the chapters relatively kid-friendly, so I will refrain from swearing (unlike in my last book). A few chapters may cover darker and more mature topics, and if so I will include trigger warnings and content warnings at the beginnings of those chapters.

Feedback: If you have any sort of feedback you want to give on this book, whether it's good or bad, feel free to leave comments. If you have questions, I will try my best to answer them (I might even do a Q&A chapter later down the line). However, I do not condone sending hate comments, though I have little control over what people choose to send. Mild hate comments will be ignored, but more severe hate comments will get reported if they violate community guidelines.

I understand that there is no such thing as a "perfect" book. Every book has at least some flaws. Every book has some combination of good writing and questionable writing. I also understand that every writer has different capabilities. This book is in no way meant to rub that in anyone's face. If anything, I want to help new writers develop their abilities. I am not an English teacher, nor am I a professional writer. I'm just a dumb kid on the internet with a few things to say.

Happy reading!

- Vanessa