For June (Rant)

TW: throw up, borderline sexual assault

Book: For June

Author: Eva Acharya

Reads: 1.14m

Synopsis: When an author named Chad is struggling to find inspiration for his next book, he meets a homeless woman named June. He takes her in and uses her as his muse, and they eventually fall in love. Meanwhile, Chad has a stalker, and he struggles to get rid of her.

Concessions:

The premise was decently original. It wasn't just about bad boy meets good girl or whatever. I like that Chad and June are pretty fleshed out characters.

The writing was competent. I didn't encounter very many spelling or grammar errors.

Rant:

The book is kind of boring. Despite not being too long, the plot moves pretty slowly.

June is "feisty". I'll admit that she has a lot of things going for her, but remember when I ranted about Kara from Spitfire in Love? I just get so tired of that feisty girl stereotype. I understand that June is meant to be tough because she's homeless, but tough shouldn't always mean feisty when it comes to female characters.

The age gap is insane. I'm pretty sure Chad is like, 30 and June is 18. June is barely an adult, and she's very much trying to find her place in the world, whereas Chad is a well-established author. These discrepancies make the romance feel really weird because throughout the first chunk of the book, Chad and June almost have a father/daughter relationship. Their age and experience gap makes it harder for them to relate to each other, so the romance feels very off.

(TW) There was this one scene where June goes on a date with her manager from the coffee shop, and she comes home absolutely wasted. She throws up on herself, and Chad comes to the rescue. However, his idea of helping his undressing June, who is comatose by the way, down to her underwear (I'm pretty sure her bra was off too) and hopping in the shower with her. It's just so screwed up, especially because Chad is totally into her. I understand that it's difficult to help June in that situation without making it weird, considering that she's comatose and covered in barf (like, if I were Chad I would feel guilty if I just left her sleeping in her barf-covered clothes), but I think Chad did the exact wrong thing. Honestly, this is the worst scene in the book, and if this scene were omitted, For June probably wouldn't even be worth ranting about.

Thank you for reading.