v.

chapter five.

ares blackburn
perspective

"YARA IS IN A CRITICAL CONDITION," Rue frowns.

"The academy is a mess right now, Rue," I sigh, "With Ember gone and Yara unconscious, it's just two heads standing. We're not enough to keep the power stable in the academy right now."

"You should visit her," Rue suggests with a small smile, "Maybe she'll wake up at the sound of your voice."

I scoff, "What am I? Her prince charming?"

He lets out a laugh, "I didn't mean it in that way, Ares. At the sound of your voice, she'll remember that she can't die without killing you, and then she'll wake up to fight with you. Perfect idea, right?"

I blink, processing his words, throwing him a tired look but his words did sound realistic.

"Where's Jun?" I lean back on my seat, letting out a tired sigh, pressing my fingers over my forehead to relieve the headache.

I've been getting headaches nonstop probably due to the fact that I didn't sleep the whole night since I had to walk around the grounds to make sure it was safe around here.

"He went to check up on Yara. Her vitals have been fluctuating," he murmurs, leaning on the chair in front of me.

The door opens and I glance at it, watching Jun walk towards us with a deep frown playing on his lips. From the look on his face, he was going to tell us some pretty bad news.

He takes a seat next to Rue and I release a sigh, "What are her chances of waking up?"

Jun shakes his head, "Low. Very low. Her attacker knew Yara's blood type is very rare. If not the rarest in the empire so we can't find any blood to transfer to her."

"All we can do now is hope that she's going to recover," Jun murmurs and we nod our heads slowly.

"She'll get through this," I add, "She's Yara Azaran. She does the impossible."

"I thought she would be the last to get targeted. She's so hard to attack. The attacker knows her techniques very well," Jun states, eyes narrowed.

"It's someone in the council. Someone who knows our schedules very well," I suggest.

"I think the headmistress is related to this. She's sketchy and she did say there's a legend about the crystals," Rue glances at the crystal dangling on my chain.

"Then she wouldn't have shattered the crystals or made the heads disappear. She wants something more than the crystals," Jun shakes his head.

"We didn't get to listen to her stupid legend about the crystals. I wonder if it's even true or worth taking the lives of the heads," I groan, rolling my eyes.

"I might have seen a book about those crystals in the library," Jun glances at me, "The book's cover was made of gold and it's right at the back of the library."

"Gold?" Rue chuckles, "Damn, those crystals must be something precious."

I graze my thumb over my dark crystal, releasing a deep sigh before I stand up, walking towards the window. I glance outside the window, staring at the Crystal Wing which stood at the centre.

I narrow my eyes once my gaze lands on him and I watch him leave the Ruby Dormitory. He enters the North Wing but that wasn't weird.

The thing unusual was that he was holding Yara's gun in his hand. He should have kept that gun next to her. Even if he was her right-hand, that gun belonged to the grand duke's daughter and it was specially made for her.

"Where's Ciro?" I hum, glancing at Jun, "Because Asahi is roaming around like always. One of them should be next to her."

Jun smiles, "You're worried about her, aren't you? Just go visit her, Ares."

I scrunch my face in disgust, "Stop that. I don't hold any sense of feelings or pity towards her. I hate her. Even if she's dying, I'll hate her."

Jun chuckles, "Ciro is next to her. He's guarding her, don't worry."

I roll my eyes at him, "I'm not worried about her, Jun," I groan, "I never will be."

The door bangs open and all of us look at the boy standing in front of us, eyes red, tears running down his cheek.

"What the hell happened, Ciro?" Rue asks, widening his eyes as Ciro tries to steady his breathing.

"Yara..." Ciro clenches his eyes shut for a few seconds, "Her vitals are low and I think her breathing stopped."

Jun stands up, eyed widened, "Shit, what the fuck?" He hisses, "This wasn't meant to happen. We need to go over to her," he glances at me and I nod.

"She's gonna be alright," Rue murmurs, patting Ciro's shoulder before we walk out of my office, heading out of the South Wing.

We enter the North Wing and walk up the stairs, walking towards the medical room where Yara was resting.

I hear guns go off from the medical room and I let out a hiss, clenching onto my gun and loading it, ready to shoot any pests here.

"They really want her dead, don't they?" Rue scoffs, rolling his eyes as we run towards the medical room.

I kick open the door and all of us walk inside, inspecting the room. I hear Ciro call us and I walk towards him.

"Yara is not here. She's gone," Ciro points at the bed she was meant to be laying on but all I could see was blood.

"Fuck," I mutter under my breath, letting out a hiss.

I walk towards the other side of the bed and notice two bodies laying on the floor, a river of blood coming out from their wounds.

This bloody damage could only be created by one person.

"She's not gone," I whisper.

"I can't die without killing you, Blackburn."

—☽—