vii.

chapter seven.

ares blackburn
perspective

"HE TOOK EMBER AS WELL," Yara whispers, clenching her eyes shut before opening them again, letting a crystal tear run down her cheek.

"He was behind all this," I mumble, clicking my tongue in annoyance, "He was right in front of us."

Yara takes in a deep breath before dropping the bloody gun into her blazer pocket. She moves her blood-painted palm in front of her eyes and stares at it with a blank look.

"What are you thinking about?" I murmur, glancing at the look in her eyes.

Her dark eyes always reflected the sinister things she did.

"Taking blood for blood," she glances at me, throwing me a small smile.

"He's the vice-head, you're going to create the death of your own house by killing him. Just saying." I glance at her, watching her take a step towards the library.

"Ruby doesn't need a vice-head. I'm the only thing the house needs to flourish," she chuckles, turning around to look at me.

"And since when was I ever scared of death?" She shakes her head, "Breaking the laws is the last thing I am scared of."

"Don't get yourself killed, Azaran," I roll my eyes at her.

Yara looks into my eyes, "You should be careful, Blackburn. I might kill you on my way to hunt that fucker down."

"You wish you could," I scoff, "You don't even have a weapon to protect yourself wit—."

I didn't even have the chance to complete my sentence since she had just thrown a blade at me and it had flown past my arm, cutting the sleeve of my blazer. Luckily, it didn't cut my skin but it was close.

She purposely didn't let it touch my skin. It was a fucking warning to shut my mouth.

"Yara, you bitch," I hiss, glaring at her, watching her sinisterly smile at me.

"Shut it, Blackburn. Thank the heavens that I didn't shoot it at your mouth," she rolls her eyes at me.

"You wouldn't have done it anyway," I scoff, "You absolutely love my mouth, don't you?"

"Yes, I do," she fakes a smile, "I love it when it's closed. I would sell my dukedom to see your mouth shut."

"Fuck you," I hiss.

"You wish you could," she chuckles.

"I know I can," I look into her eyes.

She turns her head to look back at me, blinking at me in surprise.

"Already in love with me, Blackburn. What's the fun in that?" She teases, clicking her tongue.

"You're the last person I would love," I scrunch my face in disgust.

"Oh, don't talk too soon," she rolls her eyes in amusement at me, "They all say that and fall in love with me in the end."

"Who's they?" I ask, arching my eyebrow and my tone came out harsher than usual.

"Potential marriage partners," she shrugs, "It's not ideal for a duke's daughter to be single. They're already searching a husband for me," she frowns in disgust.

"He'll look at you and run away in fear once he sees you throwing blades," I mumble under my breath.

And for the first time in my life, I heard Yara Azaran laugh.

A genuine laugh and hearing her laugh had made me smile.

But the smile on our faces starts to fade when we hear heavy footsteps behind us.

"Jun got stabbed and taken away!"

—☽—