xiv.

chapter fourteen.

ares blackburn
perspective

"So he wants you dead?" I stare at Yara, watching her slowly nod.

She was so calm for someone who could be attacked by the criminals from Imperial any minute. But at the same time, she was Yara Azaran.

The future duchess. The youngest and first-ever female head of the House of Ruby. She was ruthless in every way.

To be honest, she could easily win against anyone. I hated accepting the fact that she was powerful, not only in status but strength and mind as well.

She had figured everything and now there was no going back. She will surely end this whole mess.

Yara walks to the back of the office and takes out a blueprint of the academy which every Head possessed. She narrows her eyes once she sets her eyes on something.

"Let's go to the Crystal Wing. I know for a fact we'll find something there," she nods at me as she places her gun inside her pocket.

I look out of the window and slowly turn around, only to see a copy of Yara's gun sitting behind the statues on the desk.

"He made an exact copy," I lift the gun and she rolls her eyes at the sight.

"It doesn't work like the original," she taps her gun, "Now, it's clear that he wanted to place all this blame on Asahi."

"He just gave you another reason to hate your ex-boyfriend," I shrug, "That was smart of him," I hold back a smile.

"Please," she rolls her eyes, "We do not talk about that anymore," she narrows her eyes at me, "And I know that you will find any reason to hate on the boy."

"So what?" I shrug, "I hate everyone."

"One thing we both share in common," she throws me a tight-lipped smile, "Now, we should inspect the Crystal Wing. The underground basement belongs to Sapphire. I never knew," she murmurs.

"Neither did I," I frown as we walk out of the office.

"Yara, where are you going?"

We turn around at the sound of his voice.

"Ciro," Yara smiles, "Oh, Rue too," she narrows her eyes at him, "You two are here at the perfect time."

"Where are you two going?" Rue arches an eyebrow at us, "That too together," he narrows his eyes at us suspiciously.

"To find our culprit," Yara shrugs, "Obviously," she rolls her eyes, "Did you think we were going on a date?" She points her thumb at her as she lets out a laugh.

"Oh, Ares," she chuckles, "I did not realise you told him about your deep love for me," she fakes a frown.

I grab her thumb in my hand and push it back towards her, "I do not hold any love for you, Yara, even though you I wish did."

"Yara," Ciro is staring at her, "What do you need?"

"This is why you're my favourite, Ciro," she smiles, "You get to the point right away."

"I know," he smiles, nodding at her.

"I need your gun," she states, "And you," she points at Rue, "Give your gun to Ares. We need it."

"What?" I turn my head to look at her.

"You never know what we may face in there," she murmurs, "One gun is simply not enough. Two is good. It's better than risking the lives of others."

I nod slowly, "I'm pretty we'll be fine in there, considering we're the best weapon users."

She laughs, "You," she points at me, "Second best. Only after me," she states firmly.

We narrow our eyes at each other before I roll my eyes at her, "Fine," I mutter, "You are."

"Good boy," she smiles before looking at Ciro, watching him take his gun out of his pocket and hand it to her.

"Come back safe, Yara," Ciro stares at Yara before he takes her hand and places a kiss on it.

"Don't worry about me, Ciro," she chuckles, "You should be worried about the people I will hurt today."

"This is your academy," Ciro smiles, "You rule it. You do whatever you please."

Rue steps forward and places his gun on my palm, "Be careful," he murmurs and I nod as we do a quick hug.

"Let's go, Blackburn," Yara glances at me, gesturing me to walk towards her.

I give the two a curt nod before turning around and walking away from them, alongside Yara. We walk downstairs and exit the building.

The cold breeze hits my skin and I feel a chill run down my spine as I stare at the Crystal Wing.

"It's as if you can feel death," Yara murmurs as she stares at the Crystal Wing. She inserts the gold key in the keyhole and twists it, watching it open with an eerie noise.

"Death is a friend of ours," I murmur as we enter the building, taking out the guns from our pockets.

She nods slowly as we walk to the end of the hallway. We take quick but quiet steps toward the door situated at the end. In a matter of seconds, we are standing in front of the door.

Yara takes the key out of her pockets and inserts it, twisting it carefully before the door clicks open. No one would have ever entered the basement. It was where all the ancient, useless books were stored but it seems like it could be a hideout.

Yara pushes open the door and we quickly step inside, slowly walking down the stairs in darkness. The darkness disappears once we step on the floor and the lights fall on us.

"Fuck," Yara hisses, staring at the crowd of boys standing in front of us, glaring at us with their weapons pointed at us.

"Take them all out, Blackburn," Yara hisses before she loads her guns, shooting them down.

I step in front of her, using both of the guns in my hands to shoot them.

But she steps in front of me and continues shooting bullets at them.

Fifteen down.

Fifteen more to go.

I dodge a bullet as I shoot two more bullets at them, taking two down. Yara shoots two in their legs, another two on their arms and finally another one in the gut.

I drop the guns down and sigh in relief as I look over all the bodies on the floor. I put my hand on her shoulder and turn her around.

My eyes widen as I stare at the bullet wounds on her body, "Shit. You got shot?" I move my hands to feel the wound but she was completely fine.

She lets out a laugh, "This crystal makes me immortal," she shrugs, "I love it."

I sigh in relief, "Since you're let's go moving," I bend down and grab my guns from the floor.

Yara nods and starts to walk forward, making sure not to step on the bodies laying on the floor. I walk behind her as we try to move to the other side of the basement.

"There," I point to the silver door on the other side. It was the only room here.

Yara starts to walk quickly towards the door and soon enough we were standing in front of the door.

She takes a deep breath before slowly pushing the door open. The door opens fully.

Yara moves her hand to her mouth. My eyes widen in horror.

I wasn't ever prepared to see this.

—☽—