parents²⁸

they thought it was best to be off alone away from kun and yangyang, who hardly noticed them leaving anyways. they crept off and left the playground, heading down a familiar path. renjun couldn't help but cry, his tears blurring his vision.

before he knew it, the same trees and nature of the trail was surrounding the crying angel. but he didn't seem aware of his new surroundings. he just let himself before dragged along by jeno, who had an arm around him.

then, they turned away from the bridge and ended up at the small river, still flowing as they eventually stopped at the rocky shore. the settling was calming, but renjun barely cared, still crying into his hands.

"what's wrong, renjun?" jaemin asked softly. renjun finally lifted his tear-stained face from
his hands to face his boyfriend that had spoken, his eyes still shiny with new tears.

"i just found out the truth about my other parent," he said, his bottom lip trembling as he sniffed. "kun came to us because he wanted to see y-yangyang, and then i had to ask because my father wouldn't tell me and then he saw who my other dad was. h-he — " a sob. " — didn't want to be apart of my life. he only had me because my father needed an heir but..."

his words broke off into crying. jeno rubbed his back sympathetically and slowly, the angel seemed to calm down, but tears were still rolling down his wet cheeks. "maybe i didn't need to know," he said finally with another sniff. "i would've been better off not knowing."

"you said yourself you always wanted to know," jeno reminded him quietly.

"yeah, well, i take that back," renjun retorted, wiping his eyes. "i would rather live ignorant. having one dad that hardly pays attention to me is better and enough than also having one that didn't even really want me in the first place...."

jaemin couldn't think of anything to say and just pulled the prince closer to him so his head rested on his shoulder. his heart ached seeing him shed so many tears like that — the same feeling he got whenever he saw any of his family members cry, especially his nephew.

"didn't you say you live with your brother and his husband?" the angel then asked after more moments of silence. "tell me about your parents. i want something else to think about."

jaemin was taken aback and hesitated for a few moments. but he knew he could tell them. they were his boyfriends. "my mum is dead," he said bluntly. "and i don't even know who my dad is. i exist because of a one nightstand. my half-brother exists because she married some japanese bloke only for him to abandon her and yuta, my brother....

"my mum, chanmi, was one of the best people i knew. she took care of us both, and yuta was like a parent to me too and still is," jaemin sighed. "but soon, when i was six, she got really sick. she couldn't come to my brother's wedding, and she couldn't see shotaro without staying in the hospital when he first got adopted from japan. then, when i was seven, she passed away."

he finished his sentence heavily, his mind going to his mother. he wasn't with her long, definitely not as long as yuta had. but at least he had some memories to remember, and could exactly picture her face.

she had long black hair she never not had in a ponytail, she had kind eyes that yuta inherited that were always full of emotion, she wasn't particularly tall nor short, and had jaemin's nose and fairly shapely eyebrows. she was kind of like a perfect actress you see in movies, awfully beautiful with a nice smile. a smile he'll never receive again.

renjun's eyes were welling with tears again. "i'm sorry, jaemin. that's unfortunate."

"yeah.... at least i knew her..." jaemin's voice trailed off. just not my dad. maybe i don't even wanna know who he is.