Mob Justice

Today's my birthday (March 28th) so I've decided to post this chapter. If it's not too much to ask please vote for this chapter and leave as many comments as you can as a birthday present to me. Thank you :)

Cassie was awake for most of the night because whenever she closed her eyes all she could see was  the image of the masked man who stood watching her without fear, as he paralyzed her with trepidation. The person causing havoc in the town was bold; he did not bother to hide and Cassie loathed him for that. She detested him because he was able to move around town freely, while everyone else was in a constant state of panic, always looking back to see if anyone was following them, doublechecking that their doors were locked, some even having to leave town to protect themselves. The killer probably had conversations with terrified strangers at coffee shops and pretended to be terrified of the killer, he probably attended the funerals of some of his victims and placed flowers at their graves. He was mocking everyone, he probably constantly watched the show of pandemonium he had caused in town, and he probably smiled the  same mocking smile he smiled at Cassie

She thought hard about the generous amount of information Irene gave her and found it easy to agree with Irene's suspicion that Peter was the killer.  He had a strong motive, and Cassie believed it was not coincidental that she received another threat the same day she discovered incriminating information about him. The fact that there had been no progress with the case began to make to her Cassie; Peter had been working at the station for a long time and has the power to clear any incriminating evidence, he also has the power to point the investigation away from him.

Cassie took a quick shower and scampered down the stairs to have some breakfast. She was so eager to get out of her house especially after the killer watched from outside her house. She felt a strong urge to see Brady, to tell him everything, and to feel safe.

When she was done eating her oatmeal, she walked up to her parents room, she knocked and after receiving no response on the third knock, she decided to open the door. She poked her head in to see her mother deep in sleep, with her eye mask over her eyes. She looked at the empty space beside her mother and a frown formed on her face. She knew that there was a chance her father was working, but she also knew it was more likely that they were not sleeping in the same bed anymore because of their fight. Cassie walked down the stairs and went straight to their guest room. She was not surprised to find her father there, also sleeping. Her heart sank at her confirming that they were indeed sleeping in separate rooms.

                                                                                              *

Cassie parked her mustang at her usual spot in her school's parking lot and grabbed her bag from the passenger seat,  she trudged up the steps of her school and the usual chatter that always welcomed her anytime she went to school had vanished. Matt's death had a great effect on everyone, he was one of those guys that was friendly with everyone, he had no judgemental bone in his body. He made everyone happy, so it was no surprise that his death was able to make everyone sad. His presence was loud, his absence was as well. . .somehow.

Cassie noticed Phoebe and Danny standing by their lockers which unfortunately, was still next to hers. She would have ignored them as she had been doing, but she had to set her pride aside, so she walked toward them. Immediately she got to her locker there was an unusual tension present.

"Cassie," Danny said with a slight smile "how are you holding up?" he looked at her with worried eyes.

"It's been hard, especially since I'm grieving alone, " she said, not being able to look at any of them in the eyes and so her eyes see on her locker instead.