Crossroads

Cassie woke up the next day full of energy. After reading Tyler's text an unusual number of times,  it was hard for her to fall asleep because she was too excited to see him in school the next day. She got ready quicker than usual and ran down the stairs, she decided to skip breakfast and run straight to her car. When she  walked into her school building, Danny and Phoebe were by their lockers waiting, even though she was earlier than usual.

"Hey Cass baby," Danny called out to Cassie as she approached him. She looked around to see a few people giggling, and covered her face in embarrassment. She walked twice as fast to her locker.

"Are you trying to ruin my reputation with your terrible nick names?" she scolded him playfully while punching him lightly on his left shoulder.

"That's the plan," he winked, while taking some books out of his locker and shoving them into his backpack.

"Cass," Phoebe chirped loudly and excitedly as she swooped Cassie in for a tight hug.

"Phoebes you don't always have to shout you know that right?" Danny complained massaging his ears.

"Whatever," she said rolling her eyes at him.

"So Cass, how's the case been going?" Danny asked, leaning on his locker and giving Cassie his full attention, Phoebe turned her focus to Cassie as well, her eyes widened in excitement. The whole town had been itching for detailed information on the case, the only time the media presented them with information on the case was when a new victim surfaced. Most times the mayor would address the town, assuring them that they had nothing to worry about, but every month they trusted his words less and less.

"Yes, please tell me if I should be terrified for my life," Phoebe said, she chewed her bottom lip as she waited for Cassie's response.

"You're all safe, none of you fit the killer's profile."

"Profile?" Danny asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, he specifically targets twenty-year-old blonde haired blue-eyed college students at parties," she explained.

"That makes no sense, if he had a type it'll be all over the media wouldn't it?" Phoebe said

"The police only release bits of information to the media, they don't want them scaring people out of town, I'm sure it's to protect the town's image and economy," she rolled her eyes.

"That's messed up, but I'm glad these green eyes are keeping me safe," Phoebe said with a loud sigh of relief. "I'm never wearing coloured contacts again." 

"I'm willing to bet money on that," Danny challenged.

"You owe me $50 if I go two months without wearing my coloured contacts?" she stretched her palm out, as if anticipating the money she would receive if she won.

"Deal, this is easy money," he laughed.

"Phoebes you're so gonna lose," Cassie laughed. "what are we doing this night?" Cassie asked, changing the topic.

"We're going bowling and then to my house to watch a movie," Phoebe replied. "My dad left on business after spending just one day with me," she shook her head, she was frustrated with him not being around, at the same time, she was happy that she had the house to herself often. "You guys can sleep over if you want."

"Can't wait," Cassie said, without much excitement. She was too distracted by Tyler's absence, she looked over everyone's shoulders but he was nowhere in sight.

The bell rang, but Cassie had chatted with her friends for so long that she forgot to take her books out of her locker, so she stayed behind to grab them. Once they hallways were empty Cassie heard faint noises coming out of a classroom that was hardly used because it had been vandalized by some troublesome students. Her detective instincts kicked in, so she decided to investigate the source of the noise.