~ELEVEN~

In his room back in the inn Liu Changsheng was looking at the jade peony in his hand in the light of the candle. It is a pure green jade. He knew it would cost a fortune. But that shopkeeper He Liang gave it to him without hesitation.

Liu Changsheng was not a man who would accept costly gifts from people. But this being a friendship gift this should mean something. But at this time this peony statue only reminds of his past life. A lifetime worth of pain, longing, desire and unachieved destiny.

He once wanted to be loved by the owner of a peony too. Loved by him, cherished by him. But all he got was blame, abandonment, indifference. And a peony was the witness of all of that. He once cried tears worth a thousand years in front of a peony. He took it all. But in return his soul was shattered into pieces by the same person he loved. That person took everything away from him. His father's life, his brothers, his sisters his family, his reputation! Everything! That person chewed him in and took all his essence, his love, his fight, his life force just to spit him out as a shell of a man who's nothing but an assassin. Who's a dethroned wangfei, hated by all. Even his own mother.

His mother once told him that a peony is a symbol of love. Maybe in this life or maybe in the last. He's not sure anymore.

This statue that He Liang xianshang gave him is a peony, the symbol of love. Love! A love that he once longed for but never got to have. And this time he's not sure if he can ever accept love as a pure feeling.

Love was never a pure feeling for him. Love broke him. Love made him evil. Love made him an assassin. To him love is not pure. It can never be.

"Young master?"Mu Ling called for him.

"Mu Ling ah! What should I do?" He wasn't sure himself what he was asking about. But he did anyway. "What should I choose?"

"Is Gongzi talking about the Fourth Prince, Xiang Wang?"

Even Liu Changsheng wasn't sure if he was. And there wasn't any need to clear that out to Mu Ling either.

"I picked up the flute because I had nothing left. I strummed the strings of guqin because I wanted the melody to reach his heart. I learnt so much just for one thing. But he never looked at me." Mu Ling was confused. When did all these happen? What was his young master Liu saying?

Confusing the young servant boy even more, Liu Changsheng started talking again. His eyes started glistening with warm tears that never got to flow this lifetime. It's such a pity that he's crying for the same person again. He might be very very stupid.

"I might be very very stupid, right? That a peony can remind me of all the things I want to forget. I can be this weak in front of a peony! Mu Ling ah! Tell me. How strong do I need to be to not break down seeing this?"

Mu Ling was stunned. He went closer to the third young master and held his leg that was folded on the wooden bed.

"Chang ge."

Mu Ling was Liu Changsheng's servant, yes. But they both treated each other as brothers. Mu Ling was allowed to call Liu Changsheng, Chang ge. And only on very few occasions he'd ever called him that. And Liu Changsheng was thankful that he had Mu Ling.

"Chang ge. If you have any restriction or doubt about the Fourth Prince I would look it up for you."

Liu Changsheng looks at the young boy sitting by his legs holding onto him. This is the boy that's always been there protecting him. Even giving up on everything he knows and grew up with. He didn't want to be foolish anymore. He wanted to do the right thing.

"Mu Ling ah. If anything happens. Anything that makes you suspicious or scared or anything at all. If you ever think something isn't right, come to me." Liu Changsheng just wanted nothing to happen to Mu Ling. His all time companion. He will do anything to make sure of that.

"Tell me you'll talk to me." He emphasizes again.

"I will talk, Gongzi."

"Chang ge." Mu Ling looks up at him and finds a slightly smiling face looking down. "You've always protected me. Let me protect you too."

A promise makes the two realise what was important to them. Both the boys were engulfed in the silence that stretched. But it was comfortable. It was pleasant. It has a promise in it. A promise of a master to his faithful servant. A promise of a ge to his Mu Ling ah. A promise that can change both their lives.

A week went on in a blink. Liu Huahua would go out and manage his business with his underlings all around Lingshui. And after finishing business he would come back to the inn at night. Days would go without any events.

Just like today Liu Huahua was out to finish up some business because they were moving to Sanshui from Lingshui in two days. Liu Changsheng was sitting at the study table in his room and Mu Ling was grinding some ink for his master when a letter from He Liang came. A waiter of the inn came and handed the letter to Mu Ling.

This is the second letter in a week and Liu Changsheng has been keeping in touch with him with letters too. This letter's content was simple.

'I heard Liu Xianshang is going to leave Lingshui in two days and going to Sanshui. You can visit the Little Buddha temple there. If you meet a monk Han, tell him you are my friend. And if he asks, tell him the jade is green but the sky is blue. He will know.

Again please keep sending letters.
He Liang.'

After reading the whole letter Liu Changsheng starts writing a reply. But halfway through, a thud sounds from the other side of the room. A figure stood in front of the window. A black cloak covering their whole body and a silver hair ring on the base of their ponytail.

"Do you really think what you're doing is gonna stop what comes?"

Both Liu Changsheng and Mu Ling looked at the black figure. When that figure turned around both of them were stunned. The black cloaked person's beauty was incomparable. She was an otherworldly beauty.

Liu Changsheng breaks the silence because if he didn't, no one would.

"Ying Lianying?"

Heyyyyyyy! Here's another chapter.... I don't know how it turned out.... Let's just wait for your feedback.... Hope you enjoy....

All the love
C 💕