~THIRTY-SEVEN~

Rumours are what ruins your life in most cases. But for Liu Changsheng, it builds his life. It proves his innocence. And when he got to know that it's his lao gong who did that, he didn't know what to believe. He didn't know how to feel anymore.

He removes his skin mask when he's faraway from the teahouse. Xiao Hua, Ying Lianying was looking at him from time to time. Because he was mostly silent and was deep in thought.

On the other hand Liu Changsheng was thinking about his conversion with He Lian. He was hesitant to believe He Lian. But also at this moment, he was his only hope. He was the only person who was actually willing to tell him what was going on. He Lian was the only person who was willing to help him prove himself. No matter his reason he was the only person who left any clue for Liu Changsheng.

'I can help you find concubine Du. She's being confined.'

Was what He Lian said.

If he could find concubine Du,  he would be proven innocent. What he didn't understand was if the fourth prince really spread the rumours, then why did he not reveal concubine Du? Given his position in the court he could easily appeal innocence for his own Wangfei. Why didn't he do that?

"Liu Changsheng."

Ying Lianying's call brought him out of his thoughts.

"Hm?"

"Is there anything wrong? Did you find something in Fu laobai's teahouse?"

"No. Nothing." Liu Changsheng completely hid the fact about his conversion with He Lian. He didn't know the reason for his sudden decision, but at that moment it felt right not to believe anyone.

"Ying Lianying. You have been following me all the time after my father appointed you, right?"

"Yes."

"It was Duan Jiali who followed me to the emperor's study when I went there for my da ge, isn't it?"

Ying Lianying was taken aback. It wasn't clear if she was startled because Liu Changsheng was aware that someone followed him. Or the fact that he knew it was Duan Jiali. In any case it is not quite normal that the impulsive and hotheaded Liu Changsheng would care about little details like this.

"Tell me Ying Lianying."

She didn't have any other options but to comply.

"Yes."

Suddenly it was hard for her to understand Liu Changsheng right away. She didn't know what he was thinking. And she didn't like it. But did it really matter if she liked it or not? Maybe not.

Liu Changsheng just went into his room disregarding Ying Lianying.as if he didn't even know she was there.

On the other side of the imperial city. A woman in Black  was standing in front of a group of same black clad people. Looks like she's giving some instructions to the group.

"Find out any evidence indicating who was behind the massacre of the Liu jia. I don't want to know who did it. I want to know who instructed it. Use all means."

Her people bowed to her and left.

And the owner of the voice, Duan Jiali gets out of the room and went to another. A woman in dishelved clothes was sitting there. She looked like all her fight was squeezed away from her. She looked dejected. As if she was bored of life.

Duan Jiali frowned.

On her instruction someone from outside came inside and put down a chair in front of the haggered woman's bed. And Duan Jiali sits on it.

"It's time, Du Jie."

The other woman groans but says nothing.

"It's time you finally go and make it right."

The other woman just looks at the black clad woman with a metal tiger insignia on her clothes.

"Why would I do that?"

The voice of the confined concubine was harsh due to unuse for years. This woman has been captured right after Liu Changsheng was thrown into prison. But due to the Xiang Wang's position the truth could not be revealed. Thus destroying the two most cherished people of Duan Jiali.

Duan Jiali smirks.

"Oh? Why, you ask?" She inches closer to the woman but stops a few inches away as if disgusted by the dirt on the other's body. "Because I said so. And you know I can kill you without facing any backlash, unlike my husband."

She sits back again.

"Du Niang ah! Du Niang! Do you know who controls the imperial harem? It's not her highness the princess consort. It's not your Furen either. It's the head of the Yinghu.

"Do you know why?

"Because Yinghu trains the shadow guards for the emperor. And they have a lot more say in the palace affairs than you, a mere second rank concubine of the second prince.

"I maybe the wife of a mere court official but I hold more power in the court than the princess consort herself. You think I couldn't make you disappear in all these years? But you know why I didn't? Because I will never let you destroy the two people I care about the most in this world."

This makes concubine Du laugh out loud. But her voice sounded like a broken puppet controlled by a demon.

"You care about the Xiang Wang, true. But Liu Changsheng? Why you lie, concubine Duan?"

The fire ignited by this in Duan Jiali's eyes could burn Du Niang in an instance. But the control, natural to a shadow guard stopped her from instantly strangling the wretched woman.

"You don't have to know that. Liu Changsheng will come and find you here. Prove his innocence. And then you die."

The shadow guard lady takes off into the forest. She's always wanted this life. The life of a warrior was natural to her. She always wanted to fight for the empire. But today it feels like a curse to her.

She wanted to be a warrior, but not like this. She didn't want to hurt so much in her heart.

When she was little she heard a lot about the mifeng sect shadow guards. They were strong, ruthless, but just. They were the ones she always looked up to. She wanted to be like their leader. The one with the silver ring in their hair. And when she met that person she was surprised.

She never thought she'd meet them in a circumstance like that. But in the middle of the duel with the head of mifeng she realised her purpose.

But today it feels like a distant story. Her idol has died and the mifeng are scattered. She has build Yinghu. And grew strong with all the power a shadow guard can hold.

And today she was tired. Was this all really worth it? What's the point protecting a corrupted emperor?

Hello hello hello! I told someone that I might take their suggestion to update twice a week instead of once as this story is already finished writing..... And I kinda decided to do it!

So here's some insight about what happened behind the scenes when Liu Changsheng was framed! Also Duan Jiali is not entirely a bad person! So let's not hate her!

That's it for today! And see you in the next chapter!

All the love
C 💕

Also please don't forget to vote!! ⭐⭐