~TWENTY~

Finally the end of the people's gathering came. For some it was a start of everything. For some it was just a new chapter. But for Liu Changsheng it was the begining of the end. And he didn't know yet. Something was going to change drastically to change his life altogether and he is not going to like it.

But for now he's having a good time with A-Lian. The five days of festivities ending didn't have much effect on Liu Changsheng as leaving the imperial city had. He wanted to make it fast and talk to A-Lian's parents fast. He couldn't risk falling prey to the emperor again.

He bought A-Lian a handkerchief to convey his feelings to her and realised that the feeling was mutual. He promised her that he will come back with his parents to have a conversation with her parents next time. And left the place with hope in his heart of making everything right.

He has suffered enough under the imperial family and he didn't plan to suffer again. Today's gathering would be his celebration to his freedom from his pitiful fate.

But as they say never celebrate too early.

After the celebration was over and everyone has drifted off to a comfortable slumber Liu Changsheng went out to the Xuanhua cliff. To keep a final promise to a person that he still loves and probably always will.

The familiar stoney trail gave him the deja vu of the last time he crossed this road to his doom. Last time he had Xiao Su. And he had to free that poor creature to an eternal rest because he couldn't bear to have his beloved beast surrender to the mercy of strangers. This time he only has himself. And this time he will get out of all the miseries his mind forces him to go through.

And he hopes he can go on with his life without the past binding him.

He walks up the the end of the trail to find a figure standing there waiting for him. The black and purple radiated an aura of grace and royalty. The man standing on the edge of the cliff looked off to the distance as if he could predict the future.

"Your highness."

Liu Changsheng's gentle but firm voice took a little time to reach the distracted ears but when they looked back as an answer the eyes showed a lot of emotion unfathomable to the beholder.

"Liu San Gongzi."

The lips moved but the voice sounded like coming from far away.

The fourth prince looked at him with all the feelings bare in his eyes. His heart could not bear the thought of never seeing the younger man in front of him ever again. But he has to. He cannot forcefully enter someone's life he's not allowed to do so. He was a prince and he could definitely make Liu Changsheng his by force. But somehow the man in front of him didn't want that and he as a person was going to respect the decision of someone he loves.

All the feelings he had didn't go unnoticed by the seventeen years old young master of the Liu family. They both were old enough to understand the sentiments of the other. And it pained Liu Changsheng to say goodbye in such a way. But life doesn't always give us easy choices now does it?

"You really came."

Liu Changsheng gave out a mocking scoff listening to this.

"I remember it was me who asked for this last promise to be kept."

The fourth prince just nods. He wanted to scream to the other man and say no, I can't let you go. But he knew better. The river of emotions was trying hard to flow and make itself known though the prince was strong enough to hold it down. But he has limitations too. He was but a twenty years old.

He may have conquered a few battles but he was still young. Still a child pampered by his mother. Loved by his mother. He was slowly becoming a man and this was high time to fall in love, which he did. But he was also someone who lost it even before the fulfilment of his love. He lost it even before he got to realise what it feels like to hold someone close to your heart. To cherish them. To see them smile and the reason being yourself. To know that no matter what there is always someone to go home to. There is always someone who is home.

A lone tear made its way down but instantly vapourated under the sheer force of will of the bearer. The fourth prince was shattering inside but he kept it all together. He looked straight to the other man's eyes and informed what he had to.

"My oldest brother is thinking of making you his empress after he ascends the throne. I wanted to tell you this because I had the intention of asking your hand in marriage from your parents."

The natural facade of coldness retured to the fourth prince's stature as he continues.

"I wanted to inform you because even though he's my oldest brother he's a cunning man. And I wanted you to have a say. You can choose him or anyone you want to. I can help you if you want to reject the emperor's edict."

A sting of pain shot through Liu Changsheng's heart and spread throughout his body. He stopped breathing because the Hong Daqing standing in front of him was nothing like he knew but also surprisingly very similar to the man from the past.

"In two months time the emperor's edict will reach your household asking your family to give you as the future empress. I hope you have a decision by then. I will......"

But even before he could complete the sentence Liu Changsheng intervened. "I will find Xuan Lang if I need your highness's help."

This surprised prince Daqing. How would Liu Changsheng know his shadow guard's name? But that discussion couldn't start when a sword glare flashed in front of their eyes. And out of nowhere a white sword flashed past in the speed of light and pierced Liu Changsheng right through the heart.

Liu Changsheng's legs gave out as he fell on his knees thinking in his heart as to why does it always happen? Why Xuanhua cliff? Why him?

"Why Xuehui?"

He said before drowning into darkness.

What Liu Changsheng didn't see was the pain in the fourth prince's eyes, the tears falling from those beautiful eyes like pearls. What he didn't see was this time he had the person who he wanted by his side.

Maybe somewhere far away fate was laughing on it's own joke. Maybe the Gods were making fun of the two poor souls drenched in rain walking towards a home that's broken.

A broken man, a prince, carrying the lifeless body of the only person he wanted to call home towards three people looking breathless with hope.

But hope was not going to be there. Life is cruel and this was the proof.

It was a painful scene when a mother  cried holding her youngest son's lifeless body until she had no tears left. When a brother just stood there looking at the scene numb with loss and pain. When the older sister couldn't control herself or her mother because today they have lost a most precious person in their life. Because today they all lost a part of their life.

Seeing this maybe even the Gods cried a little.

Hello hello hello pandas! Here's the new chapter!! I don't wanna talk about what is happening... And I know you all kinda hate me for it.... But this was necessary for the story! Please understand...

And do you still think the fourth prince was reborn too? Let me know!

So for the sake of clarity. Liu Changsheng was stabbed to the heart by Xuehui and he died. End of story....

I was practicing double carrying while cycling and I'm still kinda sore! So I'll go take a nap for a second! How was your day?

So that's it for today's chapter... I hope you enjoy! See you in the next chapter next week! Or not!

All the love
C 💕

Oh and please please please vote! ⭐⭐