Prologue

Betrayal is a shattered trust, a piercing rupture in the most delicate part of the soul.

On the asphalt road, the scent of rain mingled with the metallic tang of blood, filling my senses with the unmistakable essence of earth and iron. Despite the weariness settling deep within my bones, I trudged forward, tasting the salty residue of sweat on my lips. Each steps echoed an unspoken desire to continue.

The groans of the bodies on the ground were barely heard in the middle of chaos. I cursed inwardly, the pain crawling like fiery tendrils throughout my body, threatening to send me crashing to the ground. However, there was no exemption. I couldn't afford to give up now.

Slumping over a muddy puddle, he writhed as I pressed my foot against his abdomen with unsettling ease. "Toying with me was your biggest mistake. Never delude yourself into thinking you're capable of such foolishness," I sneered.

With a deliberate thrust, I drove my heels into his wound, eliciting a gut-wrenching scream. As his movements ceased, a chilling grin crept onto my lips.

"I'm not yet done, Rem." I murmured pulling out a metal bat I found just right next to a corpse and let it rest on my shoulders. "Why need to abduct an innocent kid, hmm?"

Exhaustion clawed at me, urging surrender, but a flicker of resolve burned within. Despite the fatigue and the desperate need for reprieve, I steeled myself to confront him. "Answer me, fucktard!"

"Ruby please?!" he pleaded and I almost want to stab his mouth with my stilettos.

Terror had already imprinted itself on his features, but I hadn't made a move, at least not yet. I'm simply beautifying his gloomy heart—by stabbing my heels onto the organ.

"Do I need to repeat myself, Rem?"

I clenched my teeth as I drove my heels deeper into Rem's wound, relishing the raw agony that tore through him, each scream a twisted melody of his torment. 

"Confess, Rem! Who ordered the abduction of the child?" I demanded again, my voice taut with controlled fury.

Tears finally streaked his contorted face, mingling with the blood and mud. "It was... it was a higher-up from the Syndicate," he whimpered, his words punctuated by sharp gasps for air.

"I was just following orders, I swear!"

"Who? Give me a name!"

Rem winced, his resolve crumbling. "It was... it was Adofo," he confessed, his breaths shallow and desperate. "It was Adofo who ordered the abduction, I had no choice!"

He screamed after and began to crack a harsh, mocking laugh and I was struck with deafening astonishment. My pulse was pounding frantically, like if a single motion might destroy me.

There's no way Adofo is involved in this! He's just messing with me—

"Guess I'm not the only fool here, Ruby! Adofo, your superior made me do this."

Rem seized the opportunity before I could respond, his voice dripping with a sadistic triumph.

"You're a pawn, Ruby. Adofo set you up, ordered me to frame you by abducting the child," he hissed, loving the havoc he created.