09: Haunted

"Drive me home..."

I sighed, seeking to relax, but was surprised again by the alteration in his hypnotic gaze when I caught a glimpse of him. I intended to take only a brief look, but I couldn't resist.

His eyes were now a combination of stress and concern, laced with increasing bewilderment and frustration. I couldn't be positive, but I became increasingly interested about what else his captivating eyes may convey.

However, our conversation remained suspended, left hanging in the air, as neither of us made an effort to resume it. Sa huli ay kinain ko rin ang sinabi ko dahil sa pagod.

Sumakay nga ako sa kotse niya na muntik na akong gulungan at nagpahatid hanggang sa kanto ng kalye kung saan naroon ang studio type apartment na binigay sa'kin ni Adofo.

The car came to a stop by the side of the street where I am currently residing, but I couldn't tear my gaze away from the side mirror. Lost in my thoughts, I struggled to find the right words to break the silence. Hindi naman kasi ako sanay sa ganitong sitwasyon dahil sanay akong sarili lang ang kasama. Kung nakikipag usap man ako, 'yun ay sa mga taong kilala ko lang, tulad nina Adofo at Dirk.

And how would I know to respond in this kind of situation when words aren't my fist weapon to yield?

"Is something bothering you?" finally, he spoke.

"Oh, nothing," I replied with a nonchalant shrug, forcing a casual tone.

I prepare to leave the car, intending to steal one last glance into his eyes, but my attention was immediately drawn to his wounded hand. He seemed unaware that the bandage had been removed, displaying the crescent shape that had emerged from his still-red skin. It was very similar to the scars on my own palms.

"Sigurado kabang dito kalang bababa? I can drop you infront of your house..."

ERrr...daming alam ng adik na'to. "I'm fine." tipid ko namang sagot.

"Call me when you got home..." hindi ito tumigil at inabot pa ang calling card niya. Kinuha ko nalang din iyon dahil ramdam ko na hindi siya titigil kapag hindi nasusunod ang gusto niya.

I got out of his car and slammed the door shut. I waited there for him to depart, not bothering to say goodbye. Distracted by thoughts of how my actions harmed him. But the previous incidents gradually disappeared from my memory, pushed away by tiredness.

With a frustrated grunt, I went down the street till I arrived at my door. Tumigil pa ako dahil pinakiramdaman ko pa ang paligid ko bago naisipang pumasok. Sinalubong kasi ako ng isang matinding tingin ng mga matang hindi ko alam kung kanino nanggagaling.

But as soon as I entered the house, I stopped bothering... Abandoning my typical routine—I also didn't bother turning on the lights, getting a meal, or changing my clothes. As I sluggishly made my way to my room, I felt weightless, like a floating sheet of paper.

As I swung open the door, my suspicions were confirmed—the same sleek grey-black cat that had broken in last night was occupying my bedroom. I was surprised by the intensity of its glare, which made me feel threatened as if I am invading its space, even though I am the owner of this house.

The cat sat by the window, poised and seemingly waiting for my return. Its piercing green eyes bore into me, making me feel exposed and vulnerable. I hesitated at the doorway, unsettled by its mysterious presence.

Cats have always been enigmatic, associated with hidden meanings. I found myself wondering about this cat's role in my life. Kung ano-ano kasing katanungan ang sumasagi sa isipan ko kung bakit sumulpot ang pusang 'to...