Chapter Six

I woke up hitting my annoying alarm clock again. It was already Friday, and I couldn't wait until the weekend. Then again, we'd probably have tons of homework to do during it so it was bittersweet. I nudged Scruffy to get up, and he bounded out of my bed and ran out my door to eat breakfast. Why my door was open I had no idea. I wanted to install a cat flap so that Scruffy could come and go as he pleased, but then he'd probably maul all my things so I decided to hold off on that.

   I warily got up and got dressed for a wonderful new day at school. Yeah, wonderful. But today was also the day that I planned to explore the blackboard in art class... I wonder what Drake could've possibly been doing.

   I checked my watch and saw that it was 8:00, and I had a total of five minutes to get to my bus. I ran downstairs, grabbed a piece of toast, stuffed it in my mouth and quickly threw on a jacket and shoes. Grabbing my key just before leaving, I scarfed down the rest of my toast and ran outside to meet Rocky. He was standing in his driveway, completely calm and not hurrying.

   "Dude! Let's go, the bus is gonna be here in," I checked my watch. "THREE minutes!"

   "I'm not taking the bus today," Rocky gave a sly grin.

   "What do you mean, not taking the bus?"

   "Check this out." Rocky took out some keys from his pocket and pressed a button, making the garage door open. Inside was a sleek red car, shiny and new.

   Rocky clicked on another button on his keys and the car gave a beep and the doors clicked open. I stared with my mouth open.

   "But how did you get a car? You're not even 16 yet, it's only January 15th, and I'M not even 16 yet!" I stared at the car. Our birthdays were one day apart, mine coming before.

   "Early birthday present. I already went out and got an early license, because I'm smart. You can get one too, you know," Rocky winked and went over to the car. He slid into the driver's seat and motioned me over. I checked my watch; 8:07. I was already late, and I got nothing to lose so I hopped into the passenger's seat.

   The car was black on the inside, but not leather. The steering wheel looked almost wooden, but when I touched it, it felt smooth, smoother than any wood can possibly be. Rocky put the key in and turned it, revving the engine a bit before rolling off the driveway. This was possibly the best car that I'd ever ridden on; the ride was smooth, the car didn't smell like a new car (the new car smell can really be irritating) and it was pretty fancy. Rocky also seemed extremely happy while driving it, and I guess as long as he was happy it was fine.

   We arrived at school and got multiple stares for Rocky's car. It didn't exactly stand out from the parking lot, as many students that go here were rich, but since everyone practically knew everybody in the school, which was strange considering how big it was, it was probably weird for them to see a random new car. We got out and grabbed out bags from the back, heading towards the school, ready for a day of fun, excitement and homework.

   Before heading to class, I stood outside the art room, camouflaging against the sea of students. Finally, I saw Donatello head over to his locker. I grinned as he put in the combination. When he swung his locker open, the balloons were just itching to come out. He stood there, looking in bewilderment at the balloons, too numb in the skull to move out of the way. Suddenly, the balloons gave in and poured out on Donatello. The paint under the feathers was still wet, and Donatello got paint splattered all over his face, shirt and pants. His black hair was painted orange, green and purple, and since the paint wasn't strong enough to hold the feathers, they all went loose and colourful showers of fake feathers fell onto Donatello. He stood there in surprise as I stealthily sank back into the crowd, unseen.