Chapter : 23

Vulnerable.

"How long do you plan to keep her here Dan?" Nihal asks while running on the treadmill. He glances at his friend from the corner of his eye, who has busied himself into doing limitless pull-ups. His biceps and deltoids seem to have otherworldly power. His grey vest is dripping wet due to the sweat his body keeps releasing. While he works out his eyes are fixed outside the window, eyes which show an uncanny determination.

Seeing no hope of getting any answers even after a while, Nihal stops and moves infront of the pull-up bar, guarding Danuj's view.

"What the hell are you planning to do to that girl? Are you thinking about your reputation?" Nihal asks feeling impatient.

"What reputation are you talking about? The one I left behind ages ago? They don't respect me Nihal, they are just frightened of me. And that's what I want. That's what I need. Their fear." Danuj responds, getting down from the bar.

"Fine. Understandable. But what about Vasudha? What is she doing here? Don't tell me you kept her here because you wanted to see her frightened as well, because that will be a clear lie. I have seen your eyes. I have seen how you react to her. That can be anything but your intention to scare her. So tell me what are you doing with her?" Nihal asks as he drinks from the bottle of fruit juice.

"She will stay here as long as I dim fit. You're right, I would get nothing by frightening her. Partly because she is too strong and doesn't get scared easily. Then why? Because I want her here around me. I want her infront of my eyes all the time. That's it." Danuj says as he changes his clothes.

"What the hell is this reason?" Nihal responds.

"You're asking too much questions buddy. I think you know where to stop?!" Danuj snaps, as the vein on his forehead swells. Nihal knows his friend long enough to understand that he has touched a restricted subject and also that his friend has started loosing his cool, which is obviously not a good sign.

"I know everything Dan. That's the reason I get worried about you man. She is an outsider for me. I'm only thinking about you. I hope you don't get involved into something you have no idea about. I mean, fighting with a hundred goons or handling a tough business situation, is what you're good at. And Vasudha, on the other hand, would be the perfect example for "beauty with brain". She won't surrender to anything so easily. She will keep trying. So, beware." Nihal pats Danuj's shoulder and leaves the gym. Danuj, although, keeps his eyes outside. His mind keeps working on Nihal's words.

¤¤¤¤¤

"You know? How come you allowed her to leave you like this?" Zoya asks Vasudha's father.

"This silly girl will always be like this, isn't it?" He asks smilingly.

"Kaku.." Zoya utters as her eyes tear up.

"Aree, amar naam holo Digbijoy Roy. Amay oto shohoje bhanga jay na pagli. [Aree, my name is Digbijoy Roy. I won't break that easily.]" Vasudha's father Digbijoy responds.

"What did she say to you before leaving uncle?" Abhirup asks curiously.

"She wants to search for her brother for one last time. It has been a year since he's missing. I couldn't stop her Abhi. She deserves this much space. And also, meet Raju. Raju.. come in." Digbijoy gestures behind him. A tall, muscular man enters the room.

"He is my caretaker and cook for the coming days, till Sudha doesn't come back. Sudha appointed him before leaving." Digbijoy states.

"Wow, you obviously don't look like you can cook man. I won't be surprised if you turn out to be a wrestler or something." Mihir says looking at the man with wide eyes.

"See, when he is here, why should I fear?" Digbijoy adds jokingly.

"Sorry to spoil the mood uncle, but when did she get the time to arrange all these? You just got discharged. This is really confusing for us. I hope you understand what I mean, this is just not how she usually reacts. We are just worried about her. Why couldn't she keep her cell phone with her?" Abhirup asks.

With every passing second the conversation starts turning difficult for Vasudha's father. The pain and hopelessness grows inside him. God must be partial. Not one, he lost both of his offspring to uncertainty. But the only thing keeps him intact is their motive of abandoning him. They not only abandoned him, they abandoned their lifestyle, their friends, their dreams and their happiness for the sole purpose of bringing smile to someone else's face. If not anything, he'll die a proud father.

¤¤¤¤¤

"What's wrong Ojas?" Nihal asks.

"Sir, Miss is not opening the door. Should I leave the breakfast tray outside her door?" Ojas asks.

"No. You eat. I am already done, I'll go upstairs and see. By the way, did you find out the location of the warehouse of S.K. Patil?" He asks Ojas.

"Yes sir. A little far but obviously not unreachable." Ojas answers.

"Brilliant. Then what are we waiting for? Ask our men to get ready and celebrate their untimely Diwali there. At his fucking warehouse! I would love to hear the sounds. " He says as he moves towards the kitchen with his empty plates of breakfast. Ojas smiles to this and nods his head in agreement.

"As you wish boss." He responds and moves out with his cell phone.

Nihal watches as Danuj very carefully picks the tray full of breakfast in his huge hands. He has changed his clothes into a deep red polo shirt and a black sweatpant. He confidently takes the stairs.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

No matter how many times he knock, that adamant girl isn't responding. He gets surprised at her audacity. Does she not know who he is? A feeling of annoyance surges through his body.

"Fine then. Starve!" His hoarse voice utters through gritted teeth and turns around.

The very moment he reaches the staircase a weird feeling creeps through his spine. Placing the tray on the flower vase table he fishes out a bunch of keys from inside his pocket.

"I warned you so many times. You decided not to open it, Miss Roy. So, I don't think I am left with any other options other than opening the door with the spare key." Saying so he opens the door and his whole body stiffens at the sight infront him.

"Vasudha....!" is the only word he manages to huff out before hurrying inside the room.

"Get upstairs. Right now!" He says to Nihal over phone.

"What happened?" Nihal asks as he leaves the newspaper on the table and stands up.

"Did I not ask you to come upstairs? I said RIGHT . NOW!" He shouts over phone.

Saying so, Danuj extends his hand to touch Vasudha's unconscious figure, that's fallen on the floor. When an inch away, he suddenly brings back his hand and places the fist on his own lips instead. As if touching her might burn him from inside.

He sees her bloody fingers and also the pieces of glass fallen scattered on the floor. The jug, it has fallen. She might have tried to drink from it.

An inexplicable feeling hammers him from inside. A weird feeling of failure. Eyebrows furrowed, he keeps on rocking back and forth without noticing Nihal standing on the door.

Nihal, who stares at Danuj, dumbfounded, as he discovers a new found state in his friend's behavior, VULNERABILITY.

______________

If you like my story feel free to Vote, Comment, Follow and Share.

Love, Puja. 😊