Chapter : 27

It Pains

"Cut that old one, will you?" Danuj asks as Nihal stands up after finishing his basic stitches here and there. This has become his regular chore, the tiredness obvious on his face.

"Told you, that hasn't healed yet. I don't understand this, why do you need to drag it towards this particular scenario everytime. Can't I expect a single day opening the door to find you without any cuts and gashes? This is disgusting!" Nihal speaks, frustratingly slamming the first-aid box.

"This needed to be done Nihal. You knew that already, didn't you? They were crossing their limits. They needed to know who has the upper hand here. I won't tolerate the same mistakes twice."   He responds to Nihal while shoving the cigarette filter into the ashtray.

"I know everything and that's what is becoming intolerable. This has become a cat and mouse game Dan. You have to stop it at a point. Otherwise God might stop your heart forcefully one day. And we will be witnessing the same without a single clue as to what should we do next." Nihal says moving out of the room.

"H-Her dinner?" Danuj asks hesitantly without looking at Nihal.

"The way you talk to her doesn't sound like you would care for her even a bit. The girl waited for you, Dan. She was worried. You could have stayed silent if you couldn't bring out anything good for her. Pathetic." Nihal shakes his head.

"She was.... worried? I-I.. don't know how to.. umm.." He bites on his lower lip nervously.

"How to behave? I know that you don't know. However, I left the tray outside her room before coming over to you. She should be eating it already." Saying so Nihal gets out of the room with immense disappointment, keeping the door wide open.

¤¤¤¤¤

She places the tray outside her room, just the way she found it. Going inside once again, she picks up the empty bottle and comes out of her room again. She strolls towards the kitchen that's set at her floor. The closer she gets to the end of the corridor a muffled hissing could be heard. It doesn't take a second for her to understand where the sound is coming from. The dim light from Danuj's room can be seen from outside. As she nears his room she decides to peep in for a moment, then she thinks otherwise. After all  who would like another set of rude words flowing out of his sacred mouth.

Ignoring his room she gets inside the kitchen. She pours some water in the bottle and drinks that right there. Then she starts filling the bottle again and another painful hissing sound startles her, sprinkling some water out of the bottle. She furrows her eyebrows and releases a sigh as she turns around and moves out of the kitchen holding the bottle tightly.

Blood. Abundance of it is covering the floor. Terrified, she raises her eyes slowly to witness the most gruesome view ever possible. Danuj is sitting on the floor, keeping his back to the entrance. His hand is tightly holding onto a sharp screwdriver. There are other equipments like a knife and scissors lying on the floor. These are the less terrifying factors comparing to how he is using the screwdriver to tear the stitches that doesn't look older than a week or so.

Her lips tremble and her vision blurs as her eyes tear up in terror. She has seen people crying out loud in pain for the smallest of cuts and the maximum he is making is this hissing sound. How is he even bearing the pain as if it's just a tiny cut? Doesn't he feel anything?

"Is he really not a human anymore?" She thinks to herself as she watches him trying really hard to reach the stitches at his back. The way he has bent his hand behind him it's losing control everytime he is trying to reach the stitches at the upper middle part of his backside. Not to mention the entire body part is filled with scars, some of which seem old enough and some too new and too bloody. He might have poked at the wrong stitches as well.