CHAPTER 20

CHAPTER 20

WHEN MORNING came, everyone made a full recovery of their strength, and they traversed the hellish barren land again. This time, they sent Xeke ahead of them to scout their route to avoid what happened yesterday. Xeke was fast that they covered forty kilometers in a day without running into trouble. Their walking pace was normal, and their only enemy was the scorching heat of the barren land.

Xeke was their scout, Hakken and Sollel were on the front, Cira and Zassia were in the center, trying to keep up, while Grath was in the rear, protecting their backs.

"Just how long are we going to walk before we reach Castetava?!" Cira complained while resting at night and massaging her own feet. "Elves love walking, but not the whole day!"

"In my estimation, we'll reach Castetava in three days," said Xeke who was playing with his dagger.

Zassia nodded. "This was a forest before, and according to history, this was the largest and widest forest in Azitera. It covers hundreds of kilometers."

"Great!" Cira clicked her tongue. "Another three days of walking."

Sollel sat beside Cira and gave her water. "Drink and stop talking. It'll dehydrate you."

Cira pouted but accepted the water nonetheless and became quiet. That didn't go unnoticed to Xeke. He realized, after traveling in this hellish barren land, that there was only one person Cira listened to, and that's El, the flame sorceress. Cira treated her with respect and sometimes reverence. She also called El Her Highness sometimes. Xeke was really curious who this El was.

"Where's Grath, by the way?" Sollel asked when she roamed her eyes around and didn't see the demi-human black wolf.

"Resting," Hakken answered as he sat beside Sollel. "He said he's not feeling well."

Zassia felt worried. "He was burning up when he carried me on his back earlier. He said he's okay. I thought it's just because of the heat."

Cira got up. "I'll go check up on him." Cira had a medicine that worked well with halflings and demi-humans. She was, after all, a renowned healer in Beastrela.

"I'll go in case she needs something," Xeke said and followed Cira.

Only Sollel, Hakken, and Zassia remained close to the small campfire they made.

Hakken scooted closer to Sollel. While Sollel noticed it, she just let him be. Even when Hakken subtly reached for her hand and played with her fingers, she just let him be as well. She could burn him alive for touching her without asking, that's a given, but she just didn't want to.

Then Sollel's eyes fell on Zassia. She was praying to Queen Sollel again, so earnestly, while holding her staff close to her heart.

"How was it, Lady Zassia?" Sollel could not help asking, and when Zassia heard her name, her eyes snapped at the woman wearing a dark red cloak. "Your prayer has been answered. Queen Sollel gave you her blessing. Why still pray?"

Zassia's expression softened. "I will not stop praying to her just because she answered my prayer and gave me what I wanted. I have been praying to her since I was a child. Even when there was no answer, even when some people belittled my belief, I continued praying. And now that my queen finally answered me, I'll pray even harder to show my gratitude and reverence."

Sollel took a deep breath, a small smile playing on her lips. "Queen Sollel will surely appreciate to have such a devoted follower."

Zassia smiled shyly and spoke regrettably. "I'm still weak though, even after my queen blessed me. I lack knowledge and experience. I'm afraid that I will just waste the blessing my queen has given me."