Chapter 7.2 The Beginning

Eight years ago

'I don't care! Your research is far too slow!' the King roared and smashed his fist at the table. The glass of wine close to him rattled dangerously at the edge of the table.

'Your Highness, I assure you we are doing all we can,' the old man with an elegantly cut white beard and glasses said. He smoothed his elaborately decorated robes nervously. 'I have all the Mages working different ways to amplify our magic day and night. But it is not something we can rush. There are certain risks that....'

'That's enough!' the King cut him off. 'All I hear are excuses! Egraria is gathering soldiers at our borders as we speak! Do you want me to tell them to hold off their invasion because you are not done with your research?!'

'My lord, I understand the urgency of the situation, but still...' tried the Mage again.

'No! I don't want to hear any of this. You said there is a way to gain more power, so now I expect you to deliver that promise! Egraria is an enormous country, and they have thousands upon thousands of soldiers! We are no match for them when it comes to the army. We need this magic, and we need it now!' His voice was strained from all the shouting, so he grabbed his cup and downed the wine in one gulp. The servant immediately refilled it. The King wiped his mouth with the sleeve of his silk shirt and pointed the finger at the Mage. 'I want to know what we can do to strengthen our magic. Speak now, or I will arrest you for treason and find someone more cooperating to replace you!'

There were nervous murmurs around the tables, and all advisors shifted uncomfortably in their seats. The Mage paled and considered his options for a few seconds, eyeing bulky guards at the chamber's door. Everyone knew the King was short-tempered, and he never pulled his punches. And now, with the threat from their neighbours looming over their heads, there was no doubt he would not hesitate to use his power.

'There might be a way,' the Mage finally said, his voice small.

'It wasn't that hard, eh?' The King perked up visibly. 'Go on.'

'There is a ritual that we could try performing. However, I would not consider it unless it was vital.'

'And why is that?'

'Because the main point of this particular ritual is to draw the power from the Lord Sun himself.'

'That's preposterous!' the elderly man in priest robes shouted. He looked as if he just woke up from a nap, which was entirely possible. The role of the Head of the Church in the royal councils was primarily out of tradition. The current official was content with just participating and indulging in food and drink provided on such occasions. And now, his sudden outburst earned shocked glances from all other advisors. The priest tried to straighten his hunched back and continued, his pale eyes full of righteous fury. 'You shall not even entertain such abominable thought! This is an attack on our God!'

'Don't be ridiculous, churchman,' the King scoffed. 'I want more details.'

'The ritual aims to create a bond between participating Mages and Lord Sun himself,' the Mage continued calmly, although his face still looked rather pale. 'If such connection is established, that would allow said Mages to draw the light directly from the Lord Sun, not only his reflections. And that would be an unlimited source of power.'

'And why is that the first time I hear about it?' the King asked, annoyed, narrowing his bloodshot eyes. 'That is our solution right there!'

'I haven't mentioned it yet, because we're still not done with assessing all the risk involved with this ritual,' replied the Mage.

'That is unbelievable!' the priest shrieked again. 'This is our God we are talking about. If Lord Sun wanted his faithful to have this kind of power, he would bestow it on us. What you're planning to do is to rob God of His power! Only madmen would do such a thing! Grand Inquisitor, you have to support me on that!'