Chapter 13.2 Disappointment

She hit the ground hard with her back, and all the air left her lungs abruptly. Her vision was a blur of light and darkness. But after a few seconds, the colours started to seep in.

She lay motionless, trying to breathe, which was unexpectedly hard. The illumination died down, and she could see the pale grey sky again. The Lord Sun continued his slow journey through the firmament, indifferent to the dramatic movements down below.

Iris groaned, perked herself up on her elbows and looked around. The Mages were scattered all over the clearing, slowly scrambling back to their feet. Most of them looked around with confusion, mirroring what Iris felt. She turned toward the centre of the clearing. Most mirrors shattered, and fires were now barely glowing embers. The Crystal of Illumination was still sitting at the tripod, all its glow gone.

Something shimmering caught her attention. Iris looked up and opened her eyes wide in awe. There were specks of light flying all around her, like snow falling from the sky. She reached out her hand and tried to catch it, but it dissolved into nothing before it touched her skin. She looked in wonder for a moment. It was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen. The specks of light were swirling around in a captivating dance, shimmering charmingly and then they were gone the next second.

Iris looked over where Marcus was. The moment she lay her eyes on him, she knew they failed. He was on his knees, looking blankly at the Crystal. His face contorted in a grimace full of unspeakable desperation. They tried, and they failed. The weight of this realisation fell on her like a rock, making it hard to breathe again. So, that was it? Were they naïve to hope they could fix the world? Undo the ill effect of people's greed? Wasn't it silly to think that they could do something no one else could?

'Hey, are you all right?' Kara asked, crouching next to her.

Iris looked at her blankly. 'I don't know.' Her head was pounding, and her vision was still blurry at the edges. She rubbed her eyes, feeling wet traces of tears.

'Come, let me help. On your feet.' Kara grabbed her arm and pulled her up, supporting her while she swayed unsteadily.

'Is everyone else unscathed?' Iris asked, looking around at Mages, slowly shaking off their daze.

'I hope so. It was a big explosion back there. But it seems it didn't do any harm except scattering you all over the place.'

'But it didn't work,' Iris said, her voice shaking. 'We failed.'

'Don't beat yourself up,' Kara said, patting her back gently. 'It was the first attempt. We still have time. I'm sure Marcus will think of something to make it work. Now come, sit here, and I'll fetch you some water. You look completely exhausted.'

It took quite a long time to gather everyone and ensure no one was seriously harmed during the Ritual. Fortunately, the worst injury was a sprained ankle. But the Mages' mental state was a completely different story. It showed on their faces a perfect reflection of Iris' feelings: disbelief, disappointment, helplessness. All the supporting people turned out to be absolute lifesavers. They were running around the shocked Mages fussing about them and making sure everyone was tended to and had something warm to drink. Iris was thankful for all those who were aiding them so selflessly.

At last, Marcus managed to collect himself, and the desperate, haunted look on his face she saw earlier was nowhere to be found. His brows were knitted, and his eyes focused while he discussed something with two other Mages. Maybe Kara was right, and they still have time. They must find a solution.

Something happened while they were gathering energy, though Iris was not sure what exactly. She remembered the swirling blackness and those cold, shadowy claws reaching out to her, and she shivered.