Chapter 22.2 Assumptions

Before the day ended, they trekked through the forest toward the Amberguard. They reached the edge of the Rowdeen Woodlands just before sunset. Iris was gathering firewood. The trees here were thinner and grew farther apart, signalling the end of the forest just a few yards away. Iris couldn't help constantly looking in that direction. Tomorrow they will have to leave the safety of the wilds and sneak into the city. The thought made her nervous. Since her capture by Inquisition, she was constantly hiding in the wilderness. There was no telling what could happen in the densely populated city. And the one that was a central base for the Inquisition.

She spotted a figure standing at the edge of the forest. Her muscles tensed, but after a second, she recognised Sam's lanky frame. He was standing with his back to her, looking down the hill towards the distant city. Iris walked towards him, but when something crunched loudly under her feet, Sam whirled around, a dagger glistening in the rays of setting Lord Sun. Iris stopped, startled by his sudden movement and the angry grimace on his face. But the moment their eyes met, he exhaled and sheath his blade away.

'It's just you. I apologise,' Sam said. His face relaxed, and he gave her a small smile. 'Old habits die hard, I guess.'

'It's all right.' She joined him. 'I can't even imagine what you've been through.'

'I can only hope you'll never know.'

They looked down the hill in silence. In the distance, Amberguard was standing proudly against a pale orange sky. Iris has never seen it before. She only ever knew her home town, which was surprisingly small by comparison. The high walls surrounded most of the perimeter, but she could see countless roofs behind them. Most of them had very peculiar golden-tinged roof tiles, which seemed to be glowing amber in a sunset. Suddenly, the name of the city made sense. Iris could only imagine how beautiful it looked when the Lord Sun shone in its full glory. In the middle of it were massive towers of the cathedral – the main church and Inquisition's headquarters. It was even bigger and more elaborate than the royal palace, which seemed to be shoved to the far side of the city.

But the most unsettling part of the view was the dark clouds hanging over Amberguard. With the Lord Sun's power weakened, the sky hardly colours. Even during sunset, pinks and oranges were a faint shadow of what she could remember. But the part of the sky over the city was darker and more oppressive than anything she'd ever seen.

'It's one thing to hear about how the world has changed after the Ritual and another entirely to see it first-hand,' Sam said gloomily.

'What's wrong with the sky over the city?' Iris asked.

'The Shadow Magic,' he replied, frowning. 'It's even worse than I imagined. That means Grand Inquisitor wields power to control the whole place easily.'

'Control how?'

'It's hard to explain. Here in our world, Shadow Magic works differently than in its original realm. It is feeding on people's despair, fear, and misery. It amplifies all those darkest and coldest thoughts, sucking out happiness and hope. That makes people extremely easy to manipulate.'

'That doesn't sound good.'

'Well, good thing we're going to get rid of it then.'

'Do you think we can do it?' Iris asked, her voice small. While looking at the city, it's just hit her. The scale of what they were planning to do. They were only a bunch of ragged outcasts. Was it even possible that they could fix all this?

Sam gently put a hand on her shoulder. 'I don't know, Iris. But I spent the last eight years trapped in the Shadow Realm, and I didn't think it was possible to survive there, not to mention getting back here. Yet here I am, talking to you now. I'll be damned if I let this world be changed into another Shadow Realm.'

'I guess you're right.' They fell silent, watching the city, lost in their thoughts. After a moment, Iris looked at him again. 'Sam, do you know how did you end up in the Shadow Realm? Is it possible you could be Realmfarer too?'

Sam laughed a mirthless laugh. 'If I had your talent to cross the realms, I think I would discover it during my time in the Shadow Realm. I was so desperate I would do anything to escape from there. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do.'

'Then how?' she pushed. 'How is it possible you ended up there while all other Mages were killed?'

Sam smirked and turned to look at her. His black eyes were unsettling, but she's already started getting used to it. 'You are a clever girl. I was wondering the same thing for years. I thought I was cursed. I couldn't find any logical explanation for what happened to me. But then I met Alfie and learnt about Realmfareres. It gave me hope, just for a little while, that maybe I possess this talent. Unfortunately for me, we quickly learned it was not the case. But I finally figured it out when you came along.'

'Me? What do you mean?'

'Kaiden Hart was your father, was he not?'

'Yes. How do you....'

'I knew him. We were not the best of friends, but we did work on a few projects together. I was mostly interested in the practical use of Light Magic for life improvements while your father was researching the nature of magic itself. I must admit I never took great interest in it, as the topic was dreadfully boring.'

'How's that relevant to anything?' Iris asked, frowning.

'It is because it was your father that was standing right next to me during the Ritual,' Sam said pointedly. 'I can't remember it all clearly, and I'm a little bit fuzzy on the details. But I do remember one thing distinctly. When everything went south and the Ritual got out of control, your father somehow regained his mobility and shoved me away. I didn't put much meaning to it at the time because I was too shocked to think. I was cut off from the Ritual, which probably saved my life, but I was also pushed across to the other realm.'

Iris finally let out a breath she wasn't aware she was holding. 'That would mean... Do you think my father was a Realmfarer?'

'Yes, that is the most logical explanation. I don't think even he was fully aware of it at the time. I can bet that at least part of his mysterious research was about realm crossing.'

'Oh, that's...' Iris felt a lump in her throat. She loved her father, but most of her childhood he spent away, working in the Order. To think that he had the same rare talent was unexpectedly comforting. She wished he'd be the one who survived and taught her all about her magic. 'Why didn't he save himself?' she asked, her voice suddenly shaking. didn't he cross himself?'

'I don't know, Iris.' Sam gently patted her back. 'But I'm sure I owe him my life. I'll do everything in my power to bring down the Inquisition and fix all this mess. And if somehow, we manage to survive all this, I promise I'll help you to learn more about your power.'

'Thank you,' she said. After Marcus died, she felt so helpless and alone. A sudden relief flooded her body. Iris still has so much to learn about her gift, and knowing someone could be there for her meant the world right now.

'Come now. Let's get this kindling to the camp to get the fire started. You need to get all the rest you can before tomorrow.

Picture from Pixabay - PublicDomainPictures