Don't give up

Legolas POV

We were travelling south in a haste. Aragorn had taken the lead of the group and anounced, that we needed to reach Lórien, where we would get aid and be safe for some time. I had watched him all day. His former strength was still visible on the outside, and he tried to not show his weakness to the others, but I felt, that he had almost given up. Gandalf had been like a father to him, and always been there for him, that now without him, he must have felt hollow inside. Even though he didn't show it, I saw how sad he was.

At night, we rested on a small forest glade, where huge old oaks hung like a ceiling over the grass lawn. Me and Gimli lit a fire and cooked a small meal to soothe the general hunger. Especially the hobbits were worn out and starved due to the lack of food on this trip. Everyone was silent, while we ate, sad, anxious and afraid of what was going to happen now. Aragorn didn't eat. He sat on a big tree trunk nearby, smoked his pipe and stared into the flames.

I took a piece of lembas bread and cooked edible roots and made my way over to the broken man.

"Have some food, Estel, the way is still long."

He didn't look up while saying:

"Im ceri ú-anír na medi (I don't want to eat, as in: I'm not hungry)."

"Cin baur ha (You need it)", I insisted.

"Gandalf hi tur-ú-medi, sui im tur-ú-medi (Gandalf can't eat now, so I can't eat either)", he whispered, voice barely audible.

"Estel, cin baur na said hon adel! (You need to leave him behind)", I responded quietly, placing my hand on his arm. "Hu tur-ó-guin ad ir cin céri ú-medi (He can not come back, even though you do not eat)."

At these words, his shoulders slumped together, and before me sat a broken man. I couldn't bear this sight, it made my heart break.

"We will be back soon!", I called over to Gimli, who eyed us suspiciously, and grinned, as he heard my words. May he think whatever he wants, I needed to comfort Aragorn.

"Sure laddie, we won't be going anywhere without you two, and take your time!", he called back.

I pulled Aragorn up from the tree trunk, then led him away from the others, my hand on his sleeve, and a bit into the forest. Soon, we reached a big flat stone, covered with soft moss, on which we sat. Aragorn put his head in his hands and sobbed. Tears started to roll down his cheeks and wetted the fabric of his cloak. 

"I don't know what to do, Legolas", he sobbed. "Without Gandalf I can not protect all of you enough, and I don't know the whole plan, as to where to lead you, or what dangers there are on the way! Gandalf never intended for me to take over, he knew the trip would fail without him. And before you ask, he told me, back in Imladris, that only he knew the real truth, whatever that may mean. I am frightened, and I am sorry if I disappoint all of you!"

To hear these words made my heart cry out in pain. 

"Aragorn, you are a very brave warrior, and a loyal friend, noone is disappointed in you! You give the hobbits strength to carry on each day, you know that, don't you? They will follow you anywhere, even through the worst dangers and fears there are on this earth. But you are not alone! Both Gimli and me are here for you and will protect the group as much as you. Even though you may lead us, that doesn't mean you are responsible for everything. We will get through this together, believe me, Estel. And don't loose faith in yourself. You are a great man, and you should love yourself as much as I do!", I reassured him.

Just as he looked up and into my eyes I realised what I had said.

"You love me?", he whispered in a hoarse voice.

I couldn't deny it any longer, not when he was in this state and looking at me with those beautiful eyes. 

"...yes..."