Goldberry's poetry collection

Elrond POV

I watched them talk. Even though I couldn't hear what Aragorn was telling the elf, I knew what it was about. It was, after all, me who had come up with the idea.

The problem the two of them were faced with was death. Death that would find Aragorn long in the future, but still eventually it would find him. And death that would never reach Legolas, as he would never leave this world naturally. Logically, it would be a disaster for both of them, if Legolas was left alone on earth in the end. Therefore, I had strained my brain with finding a solution, and I must admit, even for my elvish mind it was hard to come up with something. But I had. The chance that it would work was small, but it was better than nothing. It was my present for them for their engagement.

When I read my books in my study in Rivendell, I found one in the back of one of my shelves that was very old, older than many of the other books I owned, and I didn't remember it at first. But then I opened the cover, which was nearly crumbling away from under my fingers, and the memory came back to me. It was a book of ancient poetry, collected by the merry Tom Bombadil's wife Goldberry. They lived in the Old Forest east of the Shire, by the river Withywindle, and as I remember it, they have ever since the beginning of this world. 

What was special about this collection of poems and songs was, that is wasn't human, elvish or any other man-like poetry, but the poetry of animals, of flowers and trees, of the wind and the water, the sun and the moon. The wizard and his wife were able to talk to animals and plants, and the nature forces told them their secrets. Even stones whispered their stories in Goldberry's patiently waiting ears. A long time ago, I had received this book by Bombadil, when I was on my way through the Old Forest and stayed with him. It was a present to the person he thought would best know how to use these precious words. And an elven lord seemed as a good option, I suppose.

However, I saw this book, took it out and started reading it again. There were beautiful poems about the wonders of nature, stories about flowers and trees, songs of birds and bees, magical tales of animals who have long ago left this world. One of my favorites was a tale of a lonely wolf in the mountains, who in the end, came to Tom Bombadil to tell him his story after he passed away. I just found it touching, to read a story an animal had told, which described his life and everything he had seen. But it wasn't that poem that was the end of my search, but a nursery rhyme about rabbits. As they happened to be chased by a horde of wild hounds, they crossed a small river in the very north of Middle-Earth, where seldom men set their feet on. And suddenly, the hounds were gone, as if disappeared into thin air. 

This made me wonder, because usually even nursery rhymes have some truth in them, and I started researching some more. I read more poems, and I studied litterature about rivers in the North of Middle-Earth. I even fished out some old maps I had of these places. And during this study, it became clear to me, that this river did indeed exist. It had no name, and it was too small to be important, but in a few other stories, there was a river with magical water, that made wishes come true. 

Here now was my plan: If this river really existed, and if it really had magical power, there was a small possibility, that one could find it and get a wish fulfilled. I told Aragorn, while giving him some of my maps, that when he felt time was ready, he should travel to these far lands and try to find the river. I didn't know, what wish he had, because I didn't know if immortality was something he wished for, but maybe this could help him anyways. At least there now was an option in the back of his mind, that he could go back to.

Legolas and Aragorn excused themselves and left the hall. They seemed happy, and they held hands. I wish for the two of them to be happy, as much as I wish my own daughter happiness. But other than wish them luck, I could do no more, so I left aswell, finding my daughter already in the stables, saddling our horses.

"Are we going now, father?", she asked me.

"We are. We have no reason to stay anymore."

Hi guys! I hope you like this solution, I really thought about it for a long time and it was hard to write this chapter so that it sounded kind of understandable. I think I will end this story soon, but there might be a sequel someday in the future about Aragorn's and Legolas' life after their wedding (which will follow in a chapter in this story :) ). I am also working on Goldberry's poetry collection, because I love poems and I love nature and I probably will post some tales and poems in a new story called (obviously) "Goldberry's poetry collection". It's not online yet, but soon it will be. 

So, I want to start a new story but I haven't decided yet, about whom I will write. Therefore, please write in the comments what ship you want me to write about, or if you have any specific preferences! I might write about:

Thranduil + Bard

Sam + Frodo

Arwen + Éowyn

Also, don't worry, the Haldir+Gimli+Éomer triangle will be resolved in the next chapters!

I am looking forward to your suggestions! Now, that was a lot of information, so I'm just going to wish y'all a nice Saturday!! Bye!