ONE

october 29th, 1984

THE CAR HORN of a 1979 Chevrolet Camaro shook the old walls of house 4819 on Cherry Lane. Aven rolled her eyes as she lowered her mascara wand, quickly dropping it on her white vanity before hastily grabbing her bag on the way out of her bedroom door. She swung it shut behind her.

She sped walked the few steps down to her step-sister's room, quickly banging her fist on the door. She didn't stop knocking until the redhead opened the door with raised brows, blowing a strand of hair out of her face with a huff.

Aven grinned. "Ready or what?"

"You bet," Max smirked before sliding past the older girl. Aven shook her head to herself with a smile before she shut Max's door and followed the girl outside.

"Have you got everything?" She asked. Max hummed as she slid her red converses on before opening the front door. Aven followed her out. "Spare key? Mo-"

"Hurry up!" Billy shouted out the window of his car as he dropped his cigarette on the ground, not bothering to get out and squish it. Max shot him a look before turning around, facing Aven and mocking the boy behind his back. Aven couldn't help but laugh.

"M'lady," Aven joked after she'd opened the passenger side door and pulled the seat back. Max laughed beneath her breath.

"Thank you, ma'am," she teased back as she shoved her skateboard inside, following after it. Aven quickly pushed the seat back and sat down, the car driving off before she'd completely shut the door. "Billy, can you relax for a minute?"

"No, Aven. I'm on a time limit here," he mumbled as he controlled the steering wheel with one hand, his other hand running through his hair as he revved the car more than was necessary. He looked at himself in the mirror above him.

The girl sighed before moving her head to watch the outside world fly by. More old, half-destroyed houses filled her sight as they drove down their quiet street, the hum of the engine being all that could feel the tense silence looming over the occupants of Billy's vehicle. That's how it'd been ever since Aven had watched their mother leave their life. Billy had let it eat him whole.