ᵗ ʷ ᵉ ⁿ ᵗ ʸ ⁻ ⁿ ⁱ ⁿ ᵉ

December 15th, 1984

December 15th, 1984

HAWKINS MIDDLE SNOW BALL. ONE of the most anticipated events in all of the middle school years by the large variety of pubescent teenagers and ill-tempered teachers. It was a date to remember, so when the time came, of course the group of demo-dog hunters would be excited. 

Max Mayfield was the only exception. She did love some things about the event, like the dancing around the ballroom and getting drunk off cordial, but she hated getting ready. She would've hated it more if her mother did it, but luckily Aven was there to step up. She'd always wanted to help Max get ready, and on the fifteenth of December, she finally got her chance.

"Anything particular? Have you seen any cool hairstyles in magazines, maybe?" Aven tried to brainstorm as she looked at Max in the mirror, watching as her face scrunched up with confusion. 

"I don't look at those magazines, Aven. They're for decoration." She exaggerated to get her point across, one she thought she would never have to explain. The girl behind her held her hands up as if she were getting arrested before letting them drop with a light giggle. At the sound, Max couldn't help but let her smile run wild. It was supposed to be a good day, so why let it be sad?

"Do I have your permission to do whatever, I promise it'll look good." The eldest in the room asked politely with a convincing smile. Max rolled her eyes at the sight, but agreed nevertheless, knowing that her step-sister never broke her promises. It was like her thing, and everyone trusted her because of it.

After a while and a lot of curses, Aven had successfully recreated her favourite hairstyle on her little step-sister's head. It was a waterfall braid wrapping around the back of Max's head, twisting around neatly and ending just above her ear. The rest of her hair was let loose, rolling down in her natural curls with a touch of hairspray to stay in place. It looked good, and Max could do nothing but agree.

"Shit, Aven, when did you become a hairdresser?" Max gushed as she angled her hand held mirror to see the back of her ginger hair, widening her eyes with amazement at the pretty sight.

"Oh, you know, just a hobby of mine." Aven joked as she reached up and twirled a single strand of her hair around her fingertip, popping out her hip with a smile. The two step-siblings were happy, because they both had something to look forward to.

On the way out the door, Aven sneakily swiped Billy's car keys off the table near the entrance, shooting Max a sly wink as she snuck them into her pocket. They ran out the door laughing and stumbling over their own two feet, driving out in a fit of giggles as Billy chased them down the driveway.

"You bitch!" The girls heard Billy scream with frustration as they turned onto the street away from the boy. Max made sure she stuck her finger up at him far enough out of the window so he could actually see it, watching in the side-view mirror as he stomped his way back up to the house in a fit of rage. They were just glad they didn't have to deal with his anger. Now they just couldn't go back home.