FOURTEEN

november 3rd, 1984

THE SUN WAS quickly disappearing behind the forest surrounding the Henderson backyard. A chill crept down Aven's spine, the bomber jacket doing little to shield her from the frigid breeze. The brick wall she was sitting on scratched against her pants, the large knife in her hand twirling between her palms. She studied the grass and dried Autumn leaves beneath her. Tapping her foot impatiently against the ground, she looked up with a sigh, nervously rubbing her hands down her pants to try and warm the skin hidden beneath.

She clenched her jaw. The Upside-Down. The demogorgon. Demo-dogs. An opposite world; parallel to her own. Beneath her feet was another place, not just miles upon miles of dirt and stone. There had always been possibilities. Philosophical topics that questioned everything. What came after death? Was the universe truly infinite? Did the multiverse exist? Were there flesh-eating monsters that travelled through tears in the Earth of a small town in the middle of Indiana, spawning within a world that ran directly underneath their own? Did Aven, an intelligent seventeen year-old, really trust the unbelievable words of a middle schooler she'd just met?

Her eyes mindlessly flicked to the locked-up basement. Not a sound emitted from the underground room. She pinched the skin of her thigh through her pants. Was she dreaming? Had she really seen that creature dripping with goo? Maybe she was actually back in California, surfing on the beach with her brother as their mother watched on; dad nonexistent. Maybe everything was fine. Maybe she was okay.

Just as she was about to get up, convincing herself that nothing was spiralling and breaking the laws of physics humans had created over time, she heard a bang. Aven flinched towards the sound, holding the knife tightly in her dominant hand as she slowly circled around the basement door. The sounds continued, but further away from the door, causing the teen to hesitantly step closer and press her ear up against the locked metal. She furrowed her brows.