Chapter Two

NEWS

Kaz Brekker was starting to get bothered with the silence.

Laura had not come to his door, knocking to try and talk to him anymore for almost a whole week at that point. He knew she wasn't the type of girl to desist so quickly on annoying him in particular, so he was starting to get bothered and a bit more worried than he would like to admit.

Now that the embarrassment had died down and his logical part knew that avoiding her was almost the same as avoiding his work, and that was silly, he had understood that he needed to be an adult and deal with it with words, or at least talk around the subject so they could work normally again. He knew she was the best Spider he had encountered in the five years he had been working under the Dregs, he couldn't leave that behind.

Still, he didn't have the chance to find an excuse to go around, asking for Laura. Someone came to him with all the information he needed.

Per Haskell himself stormed into the room he had been sleeping and working on for the last moths; the one Per Haskell had made sure had stairs to get to, since the shameful limp up the stairs was Per's poke at Kaz's mistake for falling off the roof. He had been punishing Kaz in a way or another, not knowing that the walk up and down had been making his muscles stronger and helping in a way or another.

"The fucking bitch left and now there's another gang trying their best to get on our territory, Brekker," he announced, stumbling into the room in anger and without a greeting. "You have to do something about it! If not you, someone competent, at least."

"Send the Spider," he said, not even looking up from his papers.

"Who do you think I was talking about?" Haskell asked, confused. "Ghezen, the argument must had been ugly if she didn't even tell you that she was retiring," he teased.

That caught his attention.

Kaz looked up, eyes confused, but alert.

"She's out?" he asked.

"It's been four, five days now, boy. How long have you been locked up here? Live a little!" he complained, throwing himself on Kaz's bed. The boy tried not to flinch, reminding himself to change the sheets after the man had gone. "The girl said she wanted to be a normal girl or whatever. Now, it was like she knew what was going to happen, because the moment she disappeared the fucking drugs got into our territory. Do you know anyone that sells that weird variation of jurda?"

"No, I don't," he dismissed. "I'll deal with it. Now, where was the last place Laura was seen?"

Per Haskell's face lit up.

"Laura!" he said, snapping his fingers. "I knew it was something like that. I always call her 'pretty girl' that I forgot her actual name. Though I prefer the name I have for her."

Kaz had not asked and he was not interested in what his creepy boss called Laura by. A man old enough to be her father being that interested had to be at least a little bit uncomfortable to her, but she never said anything bad to anyone.

"Where was she?" he insisted.

"Why do you need to know, boy?" he asked back, eyes narrowing.

The lies came easy as Kaz rolled his eyes without letting Per Haskell see it.

"Laura was known for having information in drug-rings. She knows very well the difference between those who would sell variations of jurda in our territory and who had an actual functioning-brain," he explained the lie. "A last question before she goes away."