Chapter Eight

MISTER HOULT

By the seventh day, Jesper and Wylan had gotten back to their own room and Laura and Jordan had gotten a room for themselves in the second floor, though Kaz insisted it was time for him to go back to the Slat and deal with all the job he had missed.

He called it job; Laura called it revenge.

She knew that he had not once peeked at the Crow Club's numbers, all he had kept his eyes on was Pekka Rollins and all his movements, every single one. And she was only proven right by the time he had gotten to the Manor once more by the tenth day with news.

She was on the music room with Wylan while Nina was taking care of Jordan and letting the little girl go through her closet of dresses and pretty fabrics when Kaz stormed in, making Laura's hand fly to where she stored her knives and Wylan jump away from his piano.

"I got news!" he said.

"The news is that you almost made me have a heart attack!" Wylan said back.

"Kaz, you brought me close enough to death right now to the point that I could easily sue for this assassination attempt," Laura agreed with Wylan quickly. "What the bloody hell happened for you to run in here like this?"

"I talked to Misses Hoult," he explained. "Actually, I sent someone to talk to Philip, who managed to sneak a letter from Misses Hoult to my page boy. They're alright and they're to come back soon to the farm – when they do, somebody will be waiting for them. Mister Hoult will be dealt with, because Misses Hoult said that he got enough money to buy another farm out of nowhere."

"Son a bitch! He sold me out!" she exclaimed. "Why am I not surprised?"

"And he knows that you were the one to sell him out to Misses Hoult," he added.

"Motherfucker wanted revenge," she grumbled. "I'll show him what revenge looks like! He almost killed my child and –"

"And he sold you out to Pekka Rollins," Kaz added. "It has been confirmed. His bank account received money from one of the lower ranking Dime Lions, who would surely not have money to pay him off like that. Pekka used him to keep his name clean, but not clean enough – I know everything that happens in this town."

Wylan was standing beside Laura in a second, peeking at the numbers as well and mind working quickly.

"I'll gather everybody, we'll deal with it," Wylan announced.

Kaz didn't even have time to agree and Laura had no time to thank him. Wylan was already running out of the music room and running up the stairs by the time they blinked. Kaz could only think that he had never seen Wylan sprint so fast in his life, not even when they were about to die in their mission.

That was the effect of Jordan's sweet eyes and excited smile. She could have everything she wanted just by asking for it. She had a power she had no idea about, the ability to make people almost fall to their knees for her and she was just three-years-old.

Jesper was the first one to appear, a very ugly yellow shirt on and black trousers, Wylan trailing behind and making sure to announce that he had to wake Jesper up. Nina and Matthias took a bit longer to come down, both were awake when Wylan had called for them, but Nina was on the bath and had just taken Jordan back to her room when she said she wanted to take a nap, so Matthias waited for her. Inej was the last one to appear.

"Who's with Jordan?" Jesper asked.

"The maid," Wylan said. "I asked her to watch her for a moment."