Chapter Four

DREGS

The whole group watched the young Shu girl walking up the stairs holding onto her modest grey dress to see her feet. Kaz Brekker was right in front of her and glanced over his shoulder once to make sure she was still there.

It wasn't something that usually happened. Kaz never had any female visitations, especially ones that he would lead to his bedroom after his office was moved downstairs. Whoever that woman was, she was something more.

The only three women remotely allowed into Kaz's room were Inej, who is braving the seas, Nina, who's very much in love with a Fjerdan giant, and Anika herself, who wished nothing more than to be in Kaz's arms, though she gave up on that dream a while ago.

Anika remembered very well how Kaz had saved her life and dragged her into the Slat after she was almost killed. He made sure one of the members was always taking care of her and even had a girl, Laura (who disappeared), to teach her how to protect herself because she wasn't very comfortable around the men yet. Kaz tried to pretend he was not, but he was a good man and Anika knew that. She ended up dreaming several times of marrying Dirtyhands and becoming Queen of the Thieves, but gave up on that dream when she noticed after she grew a bit that he didn't seem interested in anyone at all – men, women or someone in between, nothing seemed to get his attention. And then Laura disappeared, Per Haskell announcing her retirement during dinner and nobody saw her ever again. Anika became the only woman on the Dregs and her mind ignored all the romantic and senseless imaginations she had as a younger child; soon enough Inej came along and, finally, Nina.

Still, being beside Kaz for so long, her surprise was understandable.

"Who is that?" Gorka asked.

"Don't know," said Dirix. "She's pretty, though."

"Brekker has good taste," laughed Keeg.

Anika rolled her eyes.

"Nobody is going to ask what's going on?" she asked. "I mean," she blinked a few times, trying to put her thoughts into words, "doesn't anybody find this weird?"

Pim sighed and looked at Anika.

"He's a young man, Anika. There's no surprise he would find someone interesting at some point," Pim said. "Though I always thought it would be the Wraith. She's just as terrifying as him, they got along well and... well, she's stunning."

"I can't say you're wrong, Inej is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen, but..." Anika hesitated. "There's something odd about that girl, don't you think so? I never seen her before. And what is she ever wearing? Nobody in Katterdam who is able to afford dresses would pick one so modest, someone like her would be wearing trousers..."

Keeg rolled his eyes. "Just say you're jealous," he teased.

The movement was fast. Keed didn't even see the knife flying in his direction until he felt the blood rolling down his cheek slowly, the knife stuck on the wooden wall behind him, Anika was standing, nose flared and eyes narrowed.

"I'm sorry, ma'am," said Keeg, looking down, hand slowly going to his cut.

Some men needed a reminder that Anika was the lieutenant of that bloody gang, which meant she knew exactly what she was doing most of the time. She was in the Dregs for longer than Keeg, even though she was younger. Some people needed to remember she was to be respected.

"Disrespect me again, and it won't be your cheek that will bleed, Keeg," she warned.

"Yes, ma'am," he answered.