Chapter 6: Begonia

Most foxes who live today know the tragic love story of the great Lee Yeon, but only some can remember that there was another one like him. Another nine-tailed fox like him who was on a different level, one of the four mountain spirits of that land.

Like Lee Yeon, he fell for a human, like him, it was a tragic fate. How scary these two masters are similar to each other. The only difference was how they handled their grief.

"You need to eat," I said, almost begging to give him a plate of food. It had been months since he last left this room, his room, once so bright and clean, now gloomy and dirty.

"I'm not hungry." He said.

"Master." I pleaded, "Please, the forest is dying. Have you seen how the people burned down Mr. Yeon's forest? It will only be a matter of time before they plan to do the same in this forest."

I don't understand the sole reason for his attitute. Why is he like this? Is losing someone that bad?

Such thoughts were always running through my head, but I never asked. It would be wrong of me to do so, After all, I grew up without what they call a "family." Not knowing who my biological parents were. The little information I knew was that they were sold, somewhere far away.

I really can't understand.

"Leave," He demanded but his voice was still weak. "I'm not in the mood to handle your anger because that dog, blacky died."

I stood there shocked at his words. Yes, I was angry after seeing blacky dead in Lee Rang's arms. However, I was angrier at what the people had done to the forest. Because of Mr. Lee Yeon's departure and my master's inactivity, the people grew to think that there no longer lives a great creature to protect the mountain causing them to do what they desired.

I inhaled, trying my best to suppress my emotion, I took a cup of water and placed it beside my master before storming out of the room not forgetting to slam the door shut.

"Let go," I demanded as his grip tightened.

"As expected." He stated, "You would leave me to help my brother."

I responded with a nod, "I would continue to do so if you continue to help the Imoogi if you continue to hurt Jiah."

"Why do you care so much about my brother's love life?" He scoffed, a frown forming as he looked at me intently.

Why do I care so much? Because I don't want to watch him suffer alone as I did with my master. Because I doubt Mr. Yeon can handle the pain of losing the love of his life dies twice. I doubt he'll be able to move on.

"If you don't let me go now," My threats would be useless that's for sure. "I swear I'll hurt you."

A second passed before he let go and sneered. "You're even willing to hurt me."

"Rang please," I started. "I've let you off multiple times."

It's true, every time I get the chance to meet him, it's always him doing something bad and I have to either stop or punish him. But never have I done the latter, not finding the courage to do so within me.

"I will really hurt you next time we meet again."

Taking advantage of his silence, I started to walk away.

"Whatever is between us," he stated, "Let's just end it."

Stopping at his words, I pressed my lips in a line and gave him a side glance, "Whatever that was, we ended it 600 years ago."

Yes, the moment I left your side, I knew it was the end.

"I somewhat appreciate you being here." Mr. Yeon smiled at me. Both of us are currently outside Jiah's home. I was too late, when I reached her residence, Mr. Yeon was already out leaning at the gate.

"Why didn't you tell just tell her?" I asked. "That she's misunderstood and there's more to the picture."

"If history is repeating itself, it's best for me to stay as the bad guy to her."

"You better not regret this."

"I've made up my mind. Keep an eye on her if you can."

━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━

Opening the doors of the Snail Bride's restaurant I was immediately greeted by her silently arguing with a customer. I furrowed my eyebrow even more feeling the anger radiate from the Snail Bride which was out of character for her but before I could come to her aid another man did it for me.

"I'll see you around." She said after the Snail Bride demanded her to leave.

I looked at her intently trying to decipher why the Snail Bride would detest her so much yet nothing came to mind.

"A fox I see." She told me fueling my curiosity more.

"And what would they call you?" I asked causing her to scoff.

"Ahri." I heard the Snail Bride call. Looking over the woman's shoulder to her, she gave me a warning look. More like, a frightened one.

"Tell me, child," The 'rude customer once again took my attention. "What do you fear the most?"

"Wha-?" I was cut off when she suddenly took my arm. In a surprise, I yanked it away.

"Hmm, I see." She said walking away from us.

"Is she a shaman?" The man behind me begins to ask, "Is it written on my face that I'm scared of flights?"

"Who was she?" After I excused the Snail Bride from the rest, I began asking her multiple questions about that person I encountered just a while ago.

"She's the spirit of darkness."

"Ah." I blurted out. Now understanding why she was so angry. Their history wasn't so pleasant.

"I barely even recognized her." A bitter laugh escaped my lips as I sat down at one of the tables and released a sigh. Something that the sweet owner of the restaurant noticed and sat down to ask what was bothering me.

Of course, I told her how my mind couldn't stop thinking about what the spirit of darkness asked me earlier.

"If you don't mind," She gently took my hand. "What is it that you fear the most?"

I look down gathering my thoughts to have a clear answer.

What do I fear?

There are too many, I fear that history would repeat itself and Mr. Yeon will be alone in the end, alone to suffer the pain and eventually one day may do what my master has done. I fear that Lee Rang would continue to help the Imoogi which would one day be the cause of his destruction, and could kill him. Deep down, I fear the people I love would lose themselves and die leaving me to suffer the pain, alone.

"What I fear most," I whispered. "Being left behind."

━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━