LUCID Part 5

After Kenzie regained her composure, she allowed me to treat and cover her wounds. Luckily, the scratches appeared superficial, although undoubtedly painful.

Afterward, Kenzie made us both breakfast. Sitting down to an omelet I could only describe as divine, and after Kenzie refused to provide me with her recipe, I brought up our current problem. "So, the way I see it, our goal is to stop the Great. He's the issue, not your lucid dreams or the Dreamlands itself."

"I never want to lucid dream again." Kenzie informed me. "Once this nightmare is over, I never want to go back. I want to have normal dreams again. It's just not worth it."

"Fair enough." I agreed. "So this Great is obviously stealing his name from the 'Great Ones' you told me about who live in that castle palace place. The palace you say is guarded by a monster-thing The Great is also using that as a fake name, like how I use 'The Corsair', to conceal my true identity."

"Makes sense."

I continued brainstorming out loud. "This Great joker wanted to know my real name. He asked me about it. I'm sure he wanted to know my name so he can find me here, in the real world. I can only assume that means he's actually able to find me in the real world."

"What?" Kenzie asked, refilling my coffee cup.

"I mean he sleeps, goes to the Dreamlands and wakes in the real world like we do. He wanted to know my name so he can find me here, in reality. That's why he wanted to know who I was. That's a good sign. He's just a person, like you and me. He's not some immortal being in the Dream Realm, he's just a guy. He obviously knows who you are, right?"

"Yes. I brought him to my little apartment here in the Dreamlands. The one that exists in my dreams. Back when I trusted him. He's seen the whole place. He knows my name and where I live in both realms." Kenzie confirmed.

"So the best course of action is to find this guy here, in this reality, in the only reality I mean, and stop him." I explained to both Kenzie and myself. "Do you have something I can write with?"

After bringing me a notebook and pen, Kenzie asked, "What's up?"

"I saw the other names of people who signed that damn spellbook you showed me. At least the ones on the same page you signed." I explained, attempting to recall the names I saw. Then, with Kenzie cleaning up our breakfast plates, I wrote down each name.

Walter Gilman

Frank Elwood

Brown Jenkin

Kenzie Mason

Harley Warren

Once I had, Kenzie glanced over my shoulder. "I know him!"

"The Great?" I asked. "Who is it?"

"No." Kenzie replied. "I know the first name on your list. Gilman. Walter Gilman. I never met him, but I knew he rented this place before I did. He was a student at the University also, but never renewed his lease here. Lucky for me at the time."

"There is no such thing as coincidences." I told Kenzie. "Also he also signed this book; thus I assume he conducts, or conducted, lucid dreaming also and actually slept here, in this apartment, where you sleep now."

"I guess." Kenzie confirmed. "Not in my bed, though. I brought that with me when I moved in, but I guess he slept in this attic apartment also I guess."

"This is a huge clue." I told Kenzie. "This Gilman character might be the Great."

"You think so?" Kenzie asked. "I don't think I ever met him."