LUCID Part 7

Parked several houses down from the address Kenzie found for Mister Randolph Carter, the three of us waited for night to fall; the three of us consisting of Kenzie, myself and my "partner", the subcompact pistol I usually carry in the small of my back.

As we waited for all the lights to turn off inside Randolph Carter's rundown house, I continued our hours-long conversation. The intent of my questions were twofold. One, to gain as much information as I could about the Great and the Dreamlands. Two, to keep Kenzie awake.

"So tell me again, you met Randy after you began lucid dreaming?" I asked.

"Yes." Kenzie answered after taking another sip of coffee. "After I began, but before the nightmares started." Kenzie thought for a moment before continuing. "So I guess that means Randy can't be the Great. I mean, I met the Great, before he went crazy on me, when I started lucid dreaming and Randy afterward."

"But before the nightmare phase?" I asked.

"Yes. I guess so." Kenzie answered. "Maybe right after? I don't exactly remember our meeting that much."

"Huh." I commented. "But you also said time between our world and the Dreamlands gets mixed up, right? Tell me again, how did you start this whole lucid dreaming thing?"

"Like I said, the Great kinda pulled me into it. Like I did with you. He brought me into one of his dreams, showed me the ropes and all the wonders of lucid dreaming and of the Dreamlands. Once he tricked me into signing my name, however..."

"Just out of the blue?" I asked. "You were sleeping one night and this Great guy sucked you into his own lucid dream?"

"Yeah."

"Doesn't that seem strange?" I asked.

Kenzie punched me in the arm. "Of course, it seems strange! It is strange! This whole damn thing is strange. Strange and evil. I wish I never listened to the Great. I don't even know what the hell we're doing here? I mean, this loser Randy can't be the guy we're looking for, right? I met him after the beginning of my lucid dreams. Plus, Randy isn't scary like the Great is."

"I don't know." I explained. "If he's not the right guy, maybe there's some clues inside. Look. His lights just went out. Let's wait another hour and go take a look."

Kenzie yawned. "I don't know if I can wait that long, Nash. I'm getting sleepy. Using those sleeping pills makes me super tired the next day. Didn't that doctor we stopped at this morning give you something to keep us awake?"

"No. Something even better." I told her. I'll let you know what it is only if we need it. "Now stay awake. Tell me about your childhood. Start on your tenth birthday."

"Well," Kenzie began, "As you know, ten years old is a big deal, so my parents planned out this huge surprise party..."

* * * * * * *

With all the doors locked with heavy-duty, high-security deadbolts, I found it odd to find one of Randy Carter's kitchen windows open.

When a cat jumped out of the window, startling Kenzie and me, I realized the purpose for the lack of security on the kitchen window.

"I guess he has a cat." Kenzie stated after stifling her scream of fright when the cat leaped near our heads.

Risking a glance inside, I turned away, holding my nose from the stench of cat urine and feces. "More than one I would think."

"Gross." Kenzie agreed when she put her face near the open window. "I guess Randy doesn't believe in having his animals fixed or anything."

Kenzie and I placed the rubber gloves I brought with us on as I wished I'd brought surgical masks or something to deal with the smell. Placing a nearby box under the window, I carefully climbed inside the dark house, trying my best to avoid making any unnecessary sounds.