LUCID Part 12

"Let me be perfectly clear." I informed Randy. "I still don't believe a word you're saying. Last night, you had us trapped in the Dreamlands. After of course, you sent those things to attack us. We only woke up because I set an alarm clock, and you, knowing we now know who you are in this world, in reality, you had no other choice but to come over here and spin this ridiculous story as a last resort. Before we came after you. No. I don't believe you at all. This is a last chance desperate lie to save yourself."

"To protect you. Look. I don't know what happened in your dreams..." Randy began.

"Shut up!" Kenzie shouted, interrupting him. "Just shut up!"

"See? See? She's crazy, Nash. She doesn't want me to tell you the truth." Randy explained.

"You're a monster." Randy continued, tears running down her face. "How could you do those things in your dreams to me? How can you come here, into my house, and lie like this? You want to hurt me in both worlds? Turn him against me? What's wrong with you? What did I ever do to you? Is this just because I didn't want to go out for coffee with you that one time? All of this pain? Just because of that?"

"It's not me, Nash." Randy continued. "She's the Great. Look, we both know girls can cry at will..."

Having heard enough, I grabbed Randy by his neck again and pushed him hard up against the kitchen wall. "How do you know my name?" I asked. "You just called me 'Nash'. She never said my name before you did and we've never actually spoken in real life before."

Randy paused for a long time before replying. "She must've called you by your name." He stuttered. "I don't know, maybe I heard it from somewhere? She must've said it."

"No. No, she didn't." I replied. "And why do you call her 'Miss Mason'? That's what the Great called her in the Dreamlands. Seems kinda odd, doesn't it? Maybe a little too formal? You haven't convinced me of anything!"

"Don't kill me!" Randy pleaded. "She makes me call her 'Miss Mason' in the Dreamlands. That's why I called her that. Out of habit. Look. Let me find that black magic doll. It must be in her bedroom. Under her floorboards. That will prove she's a dream witch."

Behind me, Kenzie controlled her crying enough to speak. "Please tell me you don't believe him, Nash."

Throwing Randy back into his chair, I turned to face Kenzie. "Don't worry. Not a damn word."

"Thank you." Kenzie sniffed. "Please don't do this. There's no reason to let him into my bedroom. I don't want him searching for anything. I can't believe he's in my house now and I definitely don't want him in my bedroom. I don't feel safe with him here."

"See?" Randy exclaimed.

"Shut up!" Kenzie shouted. "You're a damn liar! No. You're worse!"

"Let me check under the loose floorboards in her bedroom!" Randy pleaded. "I know it's there. It has to be!"

I placed my hands on Kenzie's shoulders. "Kenzie. I don't believe a word he's saying and I'm not a liar. I said I would stop him and I will. I'm not going to let him hurt you again. You have my word. Trust me."

"Thank you." Kenzie whispered.

I thought for a moment about what Randy had told me before I continued speaking. "But I'm going to let him show me this doll thing. Just to be fair. I don't believe him, but like in a trial, I want him to be able to provide his whole defense before I pronounce his sentence."

"Nash..." Kenzie began.

"I made up my mind." I interrupted Kenzie. "No arguing. Trust me. Now he and I are going in there, in your bedroom, alone. I want you to stay out here. Why don't you get him a glass of water while we go in? Or maybe some coffee. Just like the coffee you gave me the first night I stayed here. When I was sitting in that comfy chair. You remember the cup of coffee you gave me?"