LUCID Part 6

"You can't allow me to read this book anymore?" I asked, glancing up to find the man Kenzie previously identified to me as Randy, looming menacingly over me. "And why's that?"

"You know damn well, why." Randy explained, balling his hands into fists.

Come on, Corsair! Get your head in the game! I silently chastised myself at losing my situational awareness as I sat and read the BOOK OF AZATHOTH.

Vulnerable in my seated position with the angry man standing over me, I went over my tactical options in my head. Before I could come up with a plan of action, however, Randy screamed unintelligently and tackled me.

With both of us on the library floor, I instinctively wrapped my legs around Randy's torso to control him. As Randy began to punch at my head, I flipped the crazed man over, released my leg hold on him and jumped up and away.

Wholly prepared to deal with Randy's continued aggression, I stood and watched the disheveled man clumsily regain his feet and snarl at me.

Before Randy could launch another attack, Joel Manton, the other man Kenzie stated she'd known in the library, appeared behind Randy and placed him in a bear hug.

Rand kicked and screamed, but turned utterly docile after only a few seconds of struggling. Joel continued to hold Randy tight as he explained himself to me. "Thought you could use some help, mister."

I'm fine. I thought.

"Thanks." I replied. "Do you know this guy?"

"No." Joel released his hold on Randy. Surprisingly, instead of reattacking, Randy mumbled something incoherently and walked away with his head down, leaving the library entirely. At the same time Randy left, Kenzie ran up behind me and grabbed my arm.

"What happened back here?" Kenzie exclaimed.

Joel greeted Kenzie directly. "Miss Mason."

"Principle Manton." Kenzie replied professionally.

"Please call me, Joel. So. Like I was saying." Joel continued before I could bring Kenzie up to speed. "I thought you could use some help. I've seen this type of behavior before."

"You've seen that guy attack other people before?" I asked.

"No." Principle Manton laughed. "I've seen researchers become overly protective because of these occult books. Hell, rumor is some people have actually gone insane because of the incoherent ramblings written down in these old things."

"Yeah. I've heard that too." Kenzie added, still holding onto my arm.

Joel continued. "That's why I've heard students of the University only have access to this section of the library for a total of three hours a day. Their time is closely monitored by their professors from what I understand. For mental health reasons. I assume that's why this guy attacked you. Either for reading one of these books too long or for keeping and reading what he perceived as his possession for too long. Either way, keep an eye out next time you examine these old books. Some of the people who come in here are certifiable."

"We will, Joel. We will." Kenzie answered. With that, Principle Manton nodded his head at us and left.

Once Kenzie and I were alone, she began immediately questioning me. "Are you alright?"

"Of course I am." I answered, a little embarrassed at being rescued by the older man.

"Why did Randy attack you?" Kenzie asked.

"You tell me?" I replied.

"Huh?"

"You said you knew both of them, right? That Randy guy and this Joel character. So tell me, why would Randy run up and attack me out of the blue?"