𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑭𝒊𝒗𝒆

IVAR THE BONELESS

YORK OF NORTHUMBRIA fell into the hands of the mighty Vikings just like Wessex before it and although King Ecbert had granted them Aelle's kingdom they still felt the need to impose their power by raiding the town. Surely it looked like a withdrawal, but it was all part of Ivar's strategy.

Sophie's attempts to save the people of York ended in failure, reinforcing Ubbe's prediction. Perhaps if they had attacked on Saint's Day, the people of Yorktown might have met a swifter end.

Sophie was forcefully dragged into the slaughter, placed in a wagon with Ivar speeding through the town's defenders.

"Hold on tight, Princess," he shouted from above her, his grunts and wild laughter echoing all around.

She didn't dare to look around, sitting at his feet, hands covering her ears, eyes tightly shut, trying to block out the battle raging around her.

When the wagon came to a stop, Sophie thought the nightmare was over, only to realize it wasn't when she watched the Vikings storm into one of the churches that housed only priests and nuns. This time, Ivar left her behind as he hobbled into the building.

Hesitantly, she took steps forward, the screams of priests and cries of nuns echoing from inside. To her horror, she found a priest pinned to the floor by Ivar, an axe to his neck, tugging at his cross. But what shook her even more was witnessing what the Vikings were doing to the nuns.

Startled, she flinched when someone neared, glancing up to find Ubbe gazing down at her with concern. "Come on," he gently urged, guiding her away from the gruesome scene involving Ivar and the priest.

She couldn't bring herself to observe her surroundings as they moved past more Vikings. A nun was being assaulted by one of them, and although she longed to intervene, she remained a silent witness. Another nun approached them, and upon closer look, they noticed her self-inflicted wounds. She faltered, nearly stumbling to the ground, saved from a fall by Ubbe who steadied her.

"Kill me," the nun whimpered as Sophie knelt beside her, positioned in front of Ubbe, who gazed at the woman with sorrowful eyes. "Please, kill me."

When Ubbe didn't respond to her pleas, she pushed the knife closer to her chest, encouraging him to take action.

Sophie turned her gaze elsewhere.

She could empathize; she had experienced violation herself. There was a time when Ragnar had saved her from her attackers. It was no surprise why she often saw Ubbe's resemblance to his father. Here he was, rescuing a nun from a similar plight. She hoped he would save the others too.

Her wish was granted when Hvitserk approached with a bloody knife. The room was quieter now. No more whimpers of the violated nuns. He had done it. He had saved them from their misery, yet his eyes were scanning Sophie's panicking face.

But it was the loud screams that caught the attention of the three of them as they turned to find Ivar pouring melted gold over the priest's face.

The smell was horrible as the man's face melted to the bone leaving Sophie's mind with just one choice in the heat of the moment.

"Now you can kiss your cross," Ivar told the man and before he knew it Sophie knocked him down.

But it was too late, the man was already dead.

"You're a monster!" She cried, her hands gripping Ivar by the neck of his armour as he remained on the floor beneath her, shock painted on his face. "He did nothing to you!"

What good was the fearsome Ivar the Boneless without his crutches?

Ivar's demeanour suddenly darkened, and Ubbe found himself pulling Sophie off his brother before he did something stupid, but she refused to budge.

"You think I'm a monster?" Ivar spat. "Is that what you think?"

"Ivar!"

"She asked for it, Ubbe!"

"I!" Sophie screamed.

Thump.

"Hate!"

Thump.

The sounds faded out as her raging arms banged angrily over Ivar's chest.

"ALL OF YOU!"

"Sophie!"

It was another tantrum. It kind of reminded Sophie of Sigurd. That time when she also lost her temper and almost paid for it if it wasn't for Ragnar. But this time it wasn't Sigurd, and Ragnar wasn't there to save the day.

"AHH!" An inhumane roar escaped Ivar's throat as he lifted himself, knocking Sophie off of him.

What good was the fearsome Ivar the Boneless without his crutches?

She had to figure that out as repeated lashes landed on her. She found herself curling up, shielding her face from the violent beating that her body was withstanding.

It wasn't Ivar. She could tell from her bloodied vision that it wasn't him who was beating her.

"Stop it all at once!" Ubbe shouted, but his voice was distant as if he was being pushed further away. "I said stop!"

No one could stop Ivar's men but Ivar himself. Yet, there he was, leaning over his crutches, grinning from ear to ear, enjoying the violent theatre in front of him.

"Ivar!"

"I AM IVAR THE BONELESS!" He roared, which was the last thing her ears could pick as her mind shut itself down.

Darkness was all she could see. And it was all she could see when her eyes opened again.

Everything did hurt.

She could taste the bitterness of iron on her chapped lips. She could even smell it.

She wasn't alone. The dungeons occupied another silhouette that sat in the opposite corner, staring at her. But in the dark space, she wasn't able to tell who it was.

"Your Highness," he spoke before there was a pause. "Who did this to you?"

"Bishop Heahmund?" Spoke Sophie weakly.

"It is me," said Bishop Heahmund.

"How long have I been out?" she asked.

"A day after I was brought here."

"Where is my brother?"

"He is safe."

"What happened?" Sophie dared to ask, wincing in pain when she shifted in her place so that she was leaning against the wall.

"We fought two battles and lost both of them."

That's when she realized that she had been out for too long. It was all over. She had lost. Everything was lost for all she knew.

A/N Hey! I'm really so sorry for the lack of updates it's just the fact that a lot had been going on and I couldn't get myself to write

A/N Hey! I'm really so sorry for the lack of updates it's just the fact that a lot had been going on and I couldn't get myself to write. I hope everyone is safe and well! Xx