𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒆𝒏

FULL MOON

FOR REASONS UNKNOWN TO HER, Sophie started being included in all the meetings that Lagertha summoned. Perhaps they were trying to get her involved, make her feel like one of them, but nothing really helped, and all their attempts tended to fail.

"In two full moons?" Lagertha asked the man who was claiming that Queen Astrid sent him to warn Lagertha and her people. He was a tall man, with a large build just like any Viking man she ever met, except for Ivar the Cripple.

"Did she say any more?" Ubbe asked him. "How many ships they may have? How many warriors?"

"No," the man stated. "But I can tell you something. Ivar the Boneless has joined with King Harald."

"Ivar?" Lagertha asked.

"He appeared one day with his ships," the man told her. "He and Harald have feasted together."

"And tell me..." Lagertha started. "How is Queen Astrid?"

"She is well enough. I did not see her very long. After all, what am I but a simple fisherman?"

"I think now she must regard you as a friend and ally."

"Perhaps. I have enjoyed serving her," the man admitted.

"See that this man and his crew are well cared for," Lagertha announced causing the man to walk out with a bow of his head.

"We don't have much time," Lagertha stated. "We must decide what to do, whether to wait here for the attack, or choose another place to do battle."

She turned to Ubbe who was lost in his own thoughts. "Ubbe, you will lead our army."

"Yes," Ubbe chuckled. "Against my two brothers. Who could ever imagine such a thing, hmm? This is going to rip my father's legacy apart."

"More even than that, Ubbe," she told him. "As the Seer foretold, it will tear our world apart."

In fact, Sophie hoped it would. She would be more than pleased to watch their world getting torn apart.

"Now we must all prepare for it. The days will pass like the wind," Torvi said before marching out of the hall in a hurry.

"I will see to our business, and I will send word to the jarls," Ubbe stood up too, followed by Margrethe who was soon forced to stay back.

"Margrethe," Lagertha called after her. "A moment."

That was Sophie's cue to leave the room. She didn't want to be caught in the middle of some heated conversation between the two women.

On one day - a full moon later, the sounds of ships and blowing horns got everyone gathered outside. It was Björn and Halfdan back in Kattegat, which got the crowd cheering. It was the reinforcement they were hoping for, and they came just in time for battle.