𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

THE DIPLOMAT

PRINCESS SOPHIE observed Bjorn's piercing gaze from her seat

PRINCESS SOPHIE observed Bjorn's piercing gaze from her seat. Both Bjorn and Ubbe had sought a meeting with her brother, King Aethelwulf, aiming to persuade him to fulfil his promise of granting them the promised lands. However, Aethelwulf remained hesitant, insisting on building trust with the Vikings before considering their request.

"You told us that you would honour King Ecbert's pledges," Bjorn argued. "That you would hand over the lands that we are entitled to."

"If you recall," King Aethelwulf said. "I said you would have to prove your value to us first."

Present in the room for the meeting were only Sophie, Ubbe, Bjorn, and the king.

"We don't have to prove anything!" Bjorn retorted, brandishing the paper bearing King Ecbert's signature and seal. "We have the legal right! Here, signed by King Ecbert in our presence!"

"My father had no authority to grant you any land," King Aethelwulf stated calmly. "He had already relinquished the throne to me before you arrived."

Ubbe and Bjorn turned their gaze toward Sophie, both anticipating a response. Despite their probing eyes, Sophie held her silence, meeting their determined stares with equal resolve mirroring that of her brother. "So, it was all just a lie?" muttered Bjorn, frustration evident in his words.

King Aethelwulf sighed, but before he could speak, Ubbe rose to his feet, swiftly grabbing ink and a handful of papers from the desk nearby. "But now, you are the King," he declared, taking Sophie by surprise. "So, you can sign it over to us, and you can grant us those lands right now."

"In theory, yes, I could," King Aethelwulf nodded, his eyes meeting Sophie briefly.

"What does that mean?" Bjorn asked, his eyes again moving between the king and his little sister.

Athelwulf continued. "There are important people here who do not want me to grant lands to those who, in the past, have attacked and raided us."

"So, why would we fight for you, when everything you say is just a lie?" Ubbe asked.