𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

THE VIKING WAY

IN THE DINING ROOM, the Ealhmunding family, accompanied by Bishop Heahmund had gathered

IN THE DINING ROOM, the Ealhmunding family, accompanied by Bishop Heahmund had gathered. Sophie occupied the seat beside her nephew Aethelred, with Judith and Alfred sitting across from them.

The long wooden table was adorned with platters of roasted meat, fresh fruits, and jugs of wine, casting a warm and inviting ambience throughout the dining room. The flickering candlelight danced on the polished silverware and fine porcelain, creating an intimate setting for the family gathering.

Alfred was the first as he raised his wine cup for a toast. "I propose a toast to Bishop Heahmund, scourge of the Vikings, and man of God."

"Bishop Heahmund," Sophie, Aethelwulf and his wife and son all chanted, raising their cups in unison, the clinking of glass filling the room with a harmonious melody.

"So what do you have to propose, Sophie?" King Aethelwulf asked his sister.

"My father had granted Ragnar's sons East Anglia and Northumbria," Sophie started. "They weren't aware that you have been crowned King, but still in their minds, they were granted those lands, and they will definitely seek to claim them, so we can use this to our advantage."

"What do you have in mind?"

"We can make them our people," Sophie stated.

"They will fight for us against their countrymen," Bishop Heahmund added. "There's no one better at defeating the Vikings than the Vikings themselves."

The suggestion hung in the air for a moment as they all contemplated its potential. Finally, King Aethelwulf nodded slowly. "It's a bold plan, Sophie."

"Bold but effective," Sophie responded. "And it ensures that we have the fiercest warriors on our side to defend our kingdom."

Bishop Heahmund agreed. "It is our best chance to maintain peace and protect our lands."

With that, the Vikings were forced out of their cell and brought into the throne room where King Aethelwulf sat on the throne flanked by his sister, wife, two sons and Bishop Heamund.