10

"Who do these people think they are?" I continued my rant to Rainy. "Accusing me of kidnapping; what a bunch of bullshit; I literally have the adoption papers here in my room."

"I know, take some deep breaths, and we'll figure this out." Rainy rubbed my back soothingly.

I grabbed my phone off of the small dresser that sat beside my bed. "Adriana, don't bring Mateo back to my house tonight because some dumbasses are accusing me of kidnapping him, and I just don't want him here while all this shit is going down."

"Yeah, I just saw that on the news. Who do those people think they are?"

"Right? I'm gonna have to talk to some journalists or some shit and get this crap handled. I ain't finna have nobody thinkin' I'm some type of kidnapper."

"Okay. I'll come by your house tonight and pick up some things for him if that's okay."

"Yeah, that's fine. Thanks."

"No problem, girlfriend."

"Wait, can speak to Mayo?"

"Mommy!" Mateo's high-pitched voice calmed me.

"Hey, Buddy." I smiled. "I have a question for you. While you were at school, did some strangers walk up to you?"

"Mhm. After school right before Ana picked me up. Why you ask, Mommy? Are they bad people?"

"I'm not sure yet. Did they ask you anything?" I put the phone on speaker so Rainy could listen too.

"They ask who my mommy and daddy were."

"Okay. Well, you'll be staying with Adriana for some time while I get some work settled."

"Yay! Goodnight, Mommy!"

"Goodnight, Bub." I smiled again before hanging up.

Rainy sighed. "This is a whole lotta bullshit. Like, a whole bucket of it."

I laughed. "You ain't lyin'." I rested my back on the headboard.

Rainy pulled the covers over us. "How about, we just get some sleep and deal with this in the morning?"

"Great idea." I turned down the TV.

Policemen have been in and out of my house all day trying to find proof that either I was, or wasn't guilty of kidnapping Mateo. I honestly never thought people could get so jealous to the point that they want your child. Not jewelry, or your car, but your child.

The fact that they found the exact school that I enrolled Mateo into, makes me wonder if they were stalking us. Rainy said that I'm just overthinking it, but I still have this paranoia that's following me everywhere. I've even hired bodyguards to stand in front of my house and inform me if there was something fishy happening out there.

Journalists and mobs of cameramen stayed outside of my house—some begged for me to let them interview me; I often gave in to one of two after hearing their constant whining. I had to get my half of the story out somehow.

I've also been on the look for a reputable lawyer, just in case Joy and Alexander Hawthorne wanted to press any charges on me. I've never been very bright on all the court business, so some of my terms may not be professional ones.

I jumped at the knock at the door. I cautiously walked over to open it. A white couple stood smiling at me. The woman had pale skin, red curly hair, and emerald green eyes, while the man had tanned skin, dark brown hair, and grey eyes.

"Hello," the man greeted. "I'm Alexander Hawthorne, and this is my wife, Joy."

I resisted the strong urge to slam the door in their faces. I plastered the fakest smile I could muster on my face as I moved myself out of the way, leaving room for them to come through. "Come in." Once they got seated, I began being a wonderful host, and asked if they wanted some water. "So. . . you're the couple that are trying to take my son from me." I handed them a bottle of Fiji water.

"Mmm, no, more like, we're the couple that are trying to get out son back." Joy opened the bottle.

"Funny how the two of you don't even look alike—not even a speck of resemblance."

"I could say the same about you." She got out a handkerchief and patted the sides of her lips.

"That's because I adopted him, Bitch."

"Kidnapped, you mean."

"Honey, we didn't come here to argue." Alexander put his hand on her thigh in attempt to calm her down. "Now." He shifted his grey eyes on me. "we came here to make an offer: give Mateo back to us willingly, and we'll pay you. . . one hundred grand, and if you don't, he'll be taken by force."

"Over my dead body."

"We can arrange that," Joy muttered.

Someone banged on the door. "It's the police! Open up!"

I sighed as I walked up to the door. The policemen stormed in, a mob of people with cameras snapping pictures every second from behind them. I just followed my routine, and didn't get in their way as they searched for things.

"I think it's about time we left." Joy grabbed her purse. "And I'm assuming you're not going to give us our precious Mateo back."

"Correct." I crossed my arms over my chest.

Alexander tipped her head down at me. "Bye now."

I just stared at him then slammed the door shut once the policemen were done.

Even if those two heffers were Mateo's real parents, why would they want him back after they abandoned him? Was it because they saw that I had raised him and got him back on his feet? But if they're willing to hand out one hundred grand, then they're far from being poor.

I don't care what anybody says, I will not give my baby boy away to no-damn-body.

Author's note :)

Hi!!

Thanks so much for reading my book for this long. If you enjoy it, don't forget to vote at the end of each chapter to motivate me to continue writing. You can also follow me if you'd like to read more of my books.

How do you think this book is going so far? Good? Bad? Terrible? Let me know!!

I'm also beginning to write another book called Clinging To Time if you'd like to check that out as well.

Happy reading :)

😁
\  |  /
   / \