Chapter 1

Nicola Heights

1 February

February, the month of love. The month that single people hate and that time of the year when people in relationships get to blow it in our face. It's also the month that makes me realize how desperately I am in need of a boyfriend.

I scrolled through my latest Facebook feeds, catching up with my friends lives.

I can't believe Sydney from high school got engaged and here I was, still with no serious relationship seven years later.

Valentine's day was approaching, and I needed to do something urgently about my relationship status. I wasn't spending it at home again watching a rom-com while others were posting their romantic dinners.

I looked away from my phone to see if my boss was still busy with his board meeting. We've been so busy lately that he is literally the only man in my life.

Colwen, I love him to bits though. We've been friends for as long as I could remember, we used to take baths together. After high school, while I went out to get a business degree only to end up a dropout, he ventured into the business world and made a big success out of his life.

He now owns a company that manufactures luxury furniture, an aluminium company as well as a few restaurants.

He has always been driven, that is what I loved about him. When I was buried up to my neck in debt, he took me into his mansion and gave me a job.

I continued scrolling through the feed as I tried to look for a potential suitor.

Someone cleared their throat, grabbing my attention. I looked up to see Colwen standing in front of me.

His grey eyes held mine as he stared at me with his eyebrows raised.

"You on Facebook, "he said in his usual business tone.

He was usually very informal with me.

"No." I lied, I put my phone on the table. "I was just answering some of 'your' very important emails." I lied.

He shook his head at me, clearly knowing I was lying.

"Anyways, I need you to get some lunch. I have a few documents I need to run through. " He said.

"Yes, Mr Bass," I said imitating one of his girlfriends.

He laughed and then returned to his office.

Colwen was always a very likeable person. With his dark hair and sharp jawline, some even found him incredibly attractive, but I'd never admit this to his face.

I opened the drawer and searched for his bank card, I pretty much knew everything about him, including all his passwords.

While I stayed at his house rent-free as well other from other costs, he made sure I paid for it in some way. I was in charge of buying all the groceries right down to his underwear sometimes. I didn't mind at all considering my previous history as a Shopaholic. This was a good deal for both of us.

Usually, Colwen and I went to lunch together, but today was one of those busy days.

I went to our usual lunch bar which was about two blocks away.

I ordered the usual hamburger with fries as well as a Salad for takeaway. I stood on the side enjoying my iced tea while I waited for the order.

"What would you recommend here?" A voice said over my shoulder.

I looked up to find the source of the voice.

A tall man with shoulder-length hair stood in front of me. What caught my attention was his strong muscular arms. I know knew what I wanted for Christmas; his arms gift wrapped.