Chapter 6

Nicola Heights

14 February

I've been staying at Sandra's house for the last two days; I haven't been showing up to work either.

Colwen stopped calling and decided to give me some space.

Although I had a lot of time to think, I wasn't any closer to coming up with a decision on what I was going to do next. All I know was that Colwen was not the answer.

Two days have gone by, which means today was Valentine's Day.

The day Dennis and I went on a trip. Maybe this was going to be good for me, I'd finally be able to see that it's Dennis whom I should be with, that I should stop wasting my time on Colwen.

Dennis has been sending me cute messages. I've realised that I should give things a fair chance with him.

I've decided to stop crying and move on. I can't change Colwen's feelings for me or perhaps my feelings for him. All I can hope for is that we can still regain our friendship.

I've come to realise that Dennis is the one who is always doing stuff for me, maybe it's time I did something for him in return. I decided on paying him a surprise visit. He said he would come and pick me up at noon for us to go to his parent's cabinet, it's close to a lake. Although I've never been to his house, I have the address of his apartment.

I went into Sandra's Kitchen and packed some baked goods and sandwiches into a picnic basket. Sandra just stared at me as I continued packing.

She decided to respect my decision not to talk about Colwen anymore.

"I just hope you don't realize that you love him when it's too late," Sandra said.

She then walked out of the Kitchen. She had just undone all the effort I had been making not to think about him. But today I had my guard up, I didn't want anyone to think or mention Colwen's name, right now it was only six-thirty, perhaps Dennis and I could have breakfast together. If he wasn't at home, I didn't mind waiting.

Not owning a car was proving to be a pain. I had to order an Uber to take me to Dennis' apartment.

Once I arrived, I was relieved to know that it wasn't one of those apartment blocks where you had to buzz the number to the apartment you were going to, for someone to let you in. That way it was more of a surprise, but it also led me into questioning the safety of this place.

I looked at an old text message for the number of his apartment.

"Twenty-four B," I read out loud.

Walking up the many flights of stairs was a pain. I was exhausted by the time I got to his door.

With just one knock, the door slipped open. It seemed like someone hadn't closed it properly. Was I supposed to stand there and knock again till he came to the door? Or maybe I could just walk in, I also didn't want him thinking someone was breaking into his house.

Without putting much thought into it, I walked in. I walked into the apartment, soon I heard voices.

It sounded as if he was talking to another man. With just a turn around the comer, I was looking at him in his living room. The man he was with looked restless, I noticed how he was shaking, almost as If he was experiencing drug withdrawal symptoms.

"I want the rest of my money." The man demanded.

What was going on here? This sounded like a conversation I shouldn't be listening to. Maybe listening in was the exact thing I needed to do to find out who exactly he was.